Old 17-10-2006, 04:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle[_1_] Mike Lyle[_1_] is offline
Registered User

Default What are the Broadview and Buccaneer walnut trees that you can buy

Sacha wrote:
On 16/10/06 21:06, in article ,
"farmer_giles" wrote:

Are they just purely a type of Juglans Regia grafted onto a black
walnut Juglans Nigra ???

Or what ???

If they are not grafted why are they so expensive.

I've asked Ray about this and we can't answer you. All I can tell you is
that we sell J. nigra, potted, about 8' tall for £22.

Or better still where can I buy one at the cheapest price in the UK
(lower than £20). As I do not see any for sale as bare rooted.

I hope the above will help you with price comparisons but for more detailed
info, I suggest you contact:
Kevin and Pat Croucher, Thornhayes Nursery, St Andrews Wood, Dulford,
Cullompton, Devon EX15 2DF,UK
Tel:01884 266746 Fax:01884 266739
www.thornhayes-nursery.co.uk

I don't find either of the varieties you name on their site but I couldn't
recommend better people to talk to. We have absolutely no connection with
them, BTW.

Info on those and other varieties at
http://www.keepers-nursery.co.uk/sea...x?selection=20

A while back I found another site with interesting details of a large
number of walnut varieties. I didn't bookmark it, but I think I gave
the URL in urg, so it should come up if you Google this group with
mike lyle walnut. ISTR that thread was started by Alan Homes, re his
plague of walnut trees.

I doubt if you'll find one much under twenty quid: I imagine they'd be
three years old or more before becoming saleable, and the demand can't
be very high, as they aren't for yer average small garden.

--
Mike.