Old 16-10-2006, 09:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default What are the Broadview and Buccaneer walnut trees that you can buy

Are they just purely a type of Juglans Regia grafted onto a black
walnut Juglans Nigra ???

Or what ???

If they are not grafted why are they so expensive.

Or better still where can I buy one at the cheapest price in the UK
(lower than £20). As I do not see any for sale as bare rooted.
Old 16-10-2006, 11:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"farmer_giles" wrote in message
Are they just purely a type of Juglans Regia grafted onto a black
walnut Juglans Nigra ???

Or what ???

If they are not grafted why are they so expensive.

Or better still where can I buy one at the cheapest price in the UK
(lower than £20). As I do not see any for sale as bare rooted.

I'll be happy to sell you one for less than £20, as the damned squirrels
keep planting the nuts so I always have 10 or more new trees growing every
year.

Alan

Old 17-10-2006, 04:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Sacha wrote:
On 16/10/06 21:06, in article ,
"farmer_giles" wrote:

Are they just purely a type of Juglans Regia grafted onto a black
walnut Juglans Nigra ???

Or what ???

If they are not grafted why are they so expensive.

I've asked Ray about this and we can't answer you. All I can tell you is
that we sell J. nigra, potted, about 8' tall for £22.

Or better still where can I buy one at the cheapest price in the UK
(lower than £20). As I do not see any for sale as bare rooted.

I hope the above will help you with price comparisons but for more detailed
info, I suggest you contact:
Kevin and Pat Croucher, Thornhayes Nursery, St Andrews Wood, Dulford,
Cullompton, Devon EX15 2DF,UK
Tel:01884 266746 Fax:01884 266739
www.thornhayes-nursery.co.uk

I don't find either of the varieties you name on their site but I couldn't
recommend better people to talk to. We have absolutely no connection with
them, BTW.

Info on those and other varieties at
http://www.keepers-nursery.co.uk/sea...x?selection=20

A while back I found another site with interesting details of a large
number of walnut varieties. I didn't bookmark it, but I think I gave
the URL in urg, so it should come up if you Google this group with
mike lyle walnut. ISTR that thread was started by Alan Homes, re his
plague of walnut trees.

I doubt if you'll find one much under twenty quid: I imagine they'd be
three years old or more before becoming saleable, and the demand can't
be very high, as they aren't for yer average small garden.

--
Mike.

Old 18-10-2006, 03:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

"farmer_giles" wrote in message
Are they just purely a type of Juglans Regia grafted onto a black
walnut Juglans Nigra ???

Or what ???

If they are not grafted why are they so expensive.

Or better still where can I buy one at the cheapest price in the UK
(lower than £20). As I do not see any for sale as bare rooted.

I'll be happy to sell you one for less than £20, as the damned squirrels
keep planting the nuts so I always have 10 or more new trees growing every
year.

Doesn't anyone want my walnut trees?

Alan

Old 18-10-2006, 10:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Alan Holmes wrote:
"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

"farmer_giles" wrote in message
Are they just purely a type of Juglans Regia grafted onto a black
walnut Juglans Nigra ???

Or what ???

If they are not grafted why are they so expensive.

Or better still where can I buy one at the cheapest price in the UK
(lower than £20). As I do not see any for sale as bare rooted.

I'll be happy to sell you one for less than £20, as the damned squirrels
keep planting the nuts so I always have 10 or more new trees growing every
year.

Doesn't anyone want my walnut trees?

I'd love to have space for several! But have you brought any of your
seedlings on to fruiting? If I were going to plant just one or two
trees, I'd want to choose a variety likely to produce before I became
fertiliser -- just as with any other fruit tree.

--
Mike.

Old 20-10-2006, 11:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
ups.com...

Alan Holmes wrote:
[...]

They don't start fruiting until they are several years old, about ten, by
that time they will be too large for transplanting, so you have to plant
them now whilst they are about 18 inches high, although mine was about 2'6"
high when I planted it.

Alan

--
Mike.