Old 22-03-2003, 11:44 AM
Pat Kiewicz

Default tomato pollination

Laura Stanley said:

[regading stinkbugs]
They laughed at the various soap/oil/garlic/pepper spray concoctions I
tried. Pyrethrins barely slowed them down. I will try neem oil this year.

I don't mean to irritate the "organic-only" types, but I am at my wits' end.
If neem oil doesn't work, I will resort to synthetic pesticides this year so
I can get a crop. If anyone has a suggestion (that I haven't already tried),
I'm listening.

Vacuum plants daily (rather than attempt to hand-pick).

Sabadilla dust is the 'natural' pesticide that is usually recommended for
stink bugs.

Nymphs can be killed by soap to which *isopropal alcohol* had been added
(won't kill mature bugs). Spray every few days.

Learn to identify, hand-pick and destroy egg masses.

Clean cultivation (no refuge for the pests). Cruciferous weeds (cress, wild mustard,
etc.) in particular can harbor stinkbugs.

Trap crop of mustard in the fall (destroy pest and trap crop).

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)