Old 21-03-2003, 05:20 PM
Laura Stanley

Default tomato pollination

Yes, those spots are caused by stinkbugs. In addition to sucking on the
fruit and causing the white spots and eventual rotting, they suck on the
leaves and stems and damage them. They also seem to spread disease, or maybe
the damage just makes the plants more susceptible. The immature stink bugs
are red with black legs and black spots, and congregate in groups on the
underside of foliage and fruit. They seem to like eggplant even more than
tomatoes. They will also go after sweet peppers if there aren't enough
tomatoes and eggplant to go around.

I'm in NW Florida, and I had a PLAGUE of stinkbugs last year. They decimated
my plants and crop. It was far, far worse than the year before (when I only
had light leaf damage and a few damaged fruits). I was hoping that this year
would be better, but I have *already* seen immature stinkbugs!

I set up my garden with companion plantings to attract beneficial insects. I
had lots of great insects, and the local wasp population *mostly* kept the
hornworms under control, but none of those beneficial insects seem to eat
the stinkbugs. Even the birds avoid them. I guess they taste as bad as they
smell.

With the numbers I had last year, hand-picking was completely impractical
(not to mention that the little buggers can be pretty fast).

They laughed at the various soap/oil/garlic/pepper spray concoctions I
tried. Pyrethrins barely slowed them down. I will try neem oil this year.

I don't mean to irritate the "organic-only" types, but I am at my wits' end.
If neem oil doesn't work, I will resort to synthetic pesticides this year so
I can get a crop. If anyone has a suggestion (that I haven't already tried),
I'm listening.

Hoping for better luck with tomatoes this year,

Laura
NW FL USDA Zone 8b

"Frank" wrote in message
Thanks for your responses. Here in middle Georgia hornworms are
serious pests. In spite of their huge size they are difficult to spot
because they are the eaxct same color as the tomatoe plants. One
nights work by them is almost unmbelievable...looks like a mammal
has grazed upon the plant. If I go away from hokme for several days
some of plants will have no leaves when I return. There is also a
sucking insect that leaves big white spots where they suck on the
fruits...eventually causing rot....I suspect , but am not certain,
that stinkbugs may be the culprit. Plenty of them around.
Frank Thompson

On Wed, 19 Mar 2003 05:57:32 -0500, Frank wrote:

Are insects necessary to pollinate tomatoes. Was thinking about
making insect proof cage of plastic window screening to keep them away
but was wondering if the bigs are essential for pollination.
My correct e-mail address is gn052 (not gn52)
Fake adddress given to avoid spams

Old 22-03-2003, 11:44 AM
Pat Kiewicz

Laura Stanley said:

[regading stinkbugs]
They laughed at the various soap/oil/garlic/pepper spray concoctions I
tried. Pyrethrins barely slowed them down. I will try neem oil this year.

I don't mean to irritate the "organic-only" types, but I am at my wits' end.
If neem oil doesn't work, I will resort to synthetic pesticides this year so
I can get a crop. If anyone has a suggestion (that I haven't already tried),
I'm listening.

Vacuum plants daily (rather than attempt to hand-pick).

Sabadilla dust is the 'natural' pesticide that is usually recommended for
stink bugs.

Nymphs can be killed by soap to which *isopropal alcohol* had been added
(won't kill mature bugs). Spray every few days.

Learn to identify, hand-pick and destroy egg masses.

Clean cultivation (no refuge for the pests). Cruciferous weeds (cress, wild mustard,
etc.) in particular can harbor stinkbugs.

Trap crop of mustard in the fall (destroy pest and trap crop).

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)