Old 18-10-2006, 08:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
George.com George.com is offline

Default Is there a device for compressing grass cuttings and then extruding them into pellets ???

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
ups.com...

wrote:
That can be then dried and used as fuel on a wood buring stove.

I don't mean a big multi thousand pound machine.

Or anybody have any links to pro machines that can give me an idea of
how to make one.

I had even thought about a cider press, to extude all the juices, and
then cut logs from the grass cake.

I must have tons of grass cuttings every year, there must be a better
use for them.

I think all the commercial processes use straw, which is pretty dry
already: grass is both much wetter and, in agricultural terms, too
valuable to waste as fuel. I don't know how much moisture you could get
out of grass by that sort of pressu apples are a much easier
proposition. But I think you'd have to dry it before compression, not
after, or you'd have anaerobic stinks or maybe mould growth (and your
lungs don't want you to be handling a lot of mouldy stuff).

If your grass production really is measurable in tons, I guess your
grass isn't conventional lawns: so if you don't want livestock you
could (should?) be making hay and selling it or swapping it. That will
encourage wild flowers, too.

--
Mike.