Old 18-10-2006, 10:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pam Moore Pam Moore is offline

Default protection from frost

On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 19:34:38 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote:

You can get rubber balls about 5 cm diameter with six holes in, all at
right angles, for poking the ends of canes into and constructing a
framework like a fruit cage, or joining canes end-to-end. Plastics by
Post do them or similar:
http://www.plasticsbypost.co.uk/pbpintroduction.htm
I have some. They are the most irritating, annoying and useless things
I've ever used in the garden (which is saying quite a lot!). The
canes, being of variable diameter, never fit the hole in the ball
(either too large or too small), and if you _can_ get a cane to fit,
it pops out at the first opportunity.

Thanks for that honest opinion, Chris. I nearly bought some this year
and never got round to it. Now I sha'n't bother! Perhaps they should
manufacture some plastic canes, designed to fit the holes in the
balls, but that would be expensive. it was the cost of the balls
which put me off buying this year.

Pam in Bristol