Old 17-10-2006, 04:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default protection from frost

Hiya

A more apropirate title would have been canes, but didn't want to attract
the nutters hehehe!

Anyway I was wondering if there is such a product as canes and join
attachments for fitting them together, having trouble explaining what I mean
here.

What I want to do is stick some canes in a row of pots, and put fleece or
bubble wrap over that, for frost protection of plants in pots outside. Was
wondering if there was such a thing as a plastic cap to join the sticks
together. Wish I could draw what I mean.

When my children were small they had a wendy house of which the frame
fitted together with sticks, plastic caps with holes in them to join the
sticks together which made a frame.

Thanks

Old 17-10-2006, 05:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 16:57:54 +0100, "doobydoobydo"
wrote and included this (or some of this):

What I want to do is stick some canes in a row of pots, and put fleece or
bubble wrap over that, for frost protection of plants in pots outside. Was
wondering if there was such a thing as a plastic cap to join the sticks
together. Wish I could draw what I mean.

Get a coil of garden wire of suitable caliber and a pair of pliers.
Work of a moment (and adaptable)

--
®óñ© © ² * ¹°°³

Old 17-10-2006, 05:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"doobydoobydo" wrote in message
Hiya

A more apropirate title would have been canes, but didn't want to attract
the nutters hehehe!

Anyway I was wondering if there is such a product as canes and join
attachments for fitting them together, having trouble explaining what I
mean here.

What I want to do is stick some canes in a row of pots, and put fleece or
bubble wrap over that, for frost protection of plants in pots outside.
Was wondering if there was such a thing as a plastic cap to join the
sticks together. Wish I could draw what I mean.

When my children were small they had a wendy house of which the frame
fitted together with sticks, plastic caps with holes in them to join the
sticks together which made a frame.

Thanks

I know exactly what you mean, but have no idea what they might be called!
You could tie canes together in a wigwam shape and cover that.
Jenny

Old 17-10-2006, 07:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Hiya

A more apropirate title would have been canes, but didn't want to attract
the nutters hehehe!

Anyway I was wondering if there is such a product as canes and join
attachments for fitting them together, having trouble explaining what I mean
here.

What I want to do is stick some canes in a row of pots, and put fleece or
bubble wrap over that, for frost protection of plants in pots outside. Was
wondering if there was such a thing as a plastic cap to join the sticks
together. Wish I could draw what I mean.

When my children were small they had a wendy house of which the frame
fitted together with sticks, plastic caps with holes in them to join the
sticks together which made a frame.

You can get rubber balls about 5 cm diameter with six holes in, all at
right angles, for poking the ends of canes into and constructing a
framework like a fruit cage, or joining canes end-to-end. Plastics by
Post do them or similar:
http://www.plasticsbypost.co.uk/pbpintroduction.htm
I have some. They are the most irritating, annoying and useless things
I've ever used in the garden (which is saying quite a lot!). The
canes, being of variable diameter, never fit the hole in the ball
(either too large or too small), and if you _can_ get a cane to fit,
it pops out at the first opportunity.

--
Chris

Old 17-10-2006, 07:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"doobydoobydo" wrote in message
Hiya

A more apropirate title would have been canes, but didn't want to attract
the nutters hehehe!

Anyway I was wondering if there is such a product as canes and join
attachments for fitting them together, having trouble explaining what I

mean
here.

Short lengths of discarded thin (ribbed type) garden hose can be used
to join canes together at most angles. Always worth looking out for
in skips etc. To join two top members to one upright, tie two hose
segements together with string or garden wire.

michael adams

Old 17-10-2006, 07:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"doobydoobydo" wrote in message
Hiya

A more apropirate title would have been canes, but didn't want to attract
the nutters hehehe!

Anyway I was wondering if there is such a product as canes and join
attachments for fitting them together, having trouble explaining what I
mean here.

What I want to do is stick some canes in a row of pots, and put fleece or
bubble wrap over that, for frost protection of plants in pots outside.
Was wondering if there was such a thing as a plastic cap to join the
sticks together. Wish I could draw what I mean.

When my children were small they had a wendy house of which the frame
fitted together with sticks, plastic caps with holes in them to join the
sticks together which made a frame.

Thanks

There is a product called buildaballs that might do what you want in several
catalogues/websites

Gill M

Old 18-10-2006, 08:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"doobydoobydo" wrote in message
Hiya

A more apropirate title would have been canes, but didn't want to attract
the nutters hehehe!

Anyway I was wondering if there is such a product as canes and join
attachments for fitting them together, having trouble explaining what I

mean
here.

What I want to do is stick some canes in a row of pots, and put fleece or
bubble wrap over that, for frost protection of plants in pots outside.

Was
wondering if there was such a thing as a plastic cap to join the sticks
together. Wish I could draw what I mean.

a largish deepish sheet of polystyrene such as used for packing tvs etc cut
to size will do, simply poke the canes through. Any electrical/computer
retailer should have the type of things around. If it breaks just get some
more. Free and readily available.

rob

Old 18-10-2006, 10:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 19:34:38 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote:

You can get rubber balls about 5 cm diameter with six holes in, all at
right angles, for poking the ends of canes into and constructing a
framework like a fruit cage, or joining canes end-to-end. Plastics by
Post do them or similar:
http://www.plasticsbypost.co.uk/pbpintroduction.htm
I have some. They are the most irritating, annoying and useless things
I've ever used in the garden (which is saying quite a lot!). The
canes, being of variable diameter, never fit the hole in the ball
(either too large or too small), and if you _can_ get a cane to fit,
it pops out at the first opportunity.

Thanks for that honest opinion, Chris. I nearly bought some this year
and never got round to it. Now I sha'n't bother! Perhaps they should
manufacture some plastic canes, designed to fit the holes in the
balls, but that would be expensive. it was the cost of the balls
which put me off buying this year.

Pam in Bristol
Old 18-10-2006, 06:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Maybe you could join the canes by inserting plastic joints in the ends. The
type I am thinking of are those used for joining lengths of plastic pipe in
fluid control systems, they come in mixed bore sizes and various
configurations of Y, T and 4 branch cross shapes as well as straight through
ones. Just a thought

Old 18-10-2006, 06:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"david sutcliffe" wrote in message
Maybe you could join the canes by inserting plastic joints in the ends.

The
type I am thinking of are those used for joining lengths of plastic pipe

in
fluid control systems, they come in mixed bore sizes and various
configurations of Y, T and 4 branch cross shapes as well as straight

through
ones. Just a thought

Or just slide short lengths of old hosepipe over the ends of
the canes to be joined.

michael adams

Old 19-10-2006, 01:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thankyou for all your ideas certainly one of these, or a mixture will work
well.

Ta very
Sheila

Exotic Plant Frost Protection Reptile1234 United Kingdom 2 25-07-2006 09:22 AM
Frost protection for Container Plants doobydoobydo United Kingdom 2 08-06-2006 06:19 PM
Frost Protection Jo North Carolina 1 08-11-2004 08:29 PM
Frost protection? No, seriously, folks... Mark. Gooley Roses 1 03-12-2003 12:03 AM
When To Take Action Against Frost Protection? Fleemo Gardening 10 09-02-2003 08:01 AM