Old 22-10-2006, 01:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gill Matthews[_2_] Gill Matthews[_2_] is offline

Default water butt leak

"Oxymel of Squill" wrote in message
reenews.net...
to purchase a new one - or possibly go after
the company for a replacement. AFAIK there are not any products on the
market that would be likely to withstand the amount of pressure generated
at the bottom of a large water butt. If anyone knows different I would be
pleased to hear about such a product.

surely it could hardly be sold if not fit for purpose as you suggest

If you find a product for mending water butts then doubtless it will do just
that A product advertised for mending plastic water tanks might also work.
All the products I can recollect seeing are for mending pipes or gutters or
pond linings. As these do not usually have 4 or 5 feet deep water in them
they are not subject to as much pressure as you would get in a water butt.
ISTR that you mentioned that the leak was at the bottom of the butt. The
pressure is related to depth of water above the hole. Hence the popular
lower school physics experiment where you take a tall container and punch
holes at the top the middle and the bottom, fill it with water and observe
the relative length of the jets.

Gill M