Old 22-10-2006, 11:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default water butt leak

question I also asked in diy group.....
other people have also had leaky Sankeys, anyone know how to fix them?
cheers

My Sankey water butt has developed a leak, a split on the base, even though
it was standing on one of those clever expensive stands.

I tried mending it with that stuff they sell on QVC which mends leaks in
domestic plumbing, allegedly, but it didn't work. Does anyone have any
suggestions what to fix it with? Or how?

Old 22-10-2006, 12:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Oxymel of Squill" wrote in message
reenews.net...
question I also asked in diy group.....
other people have also had leaky Sankeys, anyone know how to fix them?
cheers

My Sankey water butt has developed a leak, a split on the base, even
though
it was standing on one of those clever expensive stands.

I tried mending it with that stuff they sell on QVC which mends leaks in
domestic plumbing, allegedly, but it didn't work. Does anyone have any
suggestions what to fix it with? Or how?

Rather interesting that. Was it fitting square and neat in the stand? The
reason I ask is because one of our butts is in a stand and it doesn't fit
'snug'. Should I sit it in a bed of sand in the stand to take out any
unevenness?

Mike

--
.................................................. .........
www.rnshipmates.co.uk

Old 22-10-2006, 12:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 11:49:40 +0100, "Oxymel of Squill"
wrote:

question I also asked in diy group.....
other people have also had leaky Sankeys, anyone know how to fix them?
cheers

My Sankey water butt has developed a leak, a split on the base, even though
it was standing on one of those clever expensive stands.

I tried mending it with that stuff they sell on QVC which mends leaks in
domestic plumbing, allegedly, but it didn't work. Does anyone have any
suggestions what to fix it with? Or how?

I don't know whether it would work on your water butt, but I repaired
a split in a neighbour's preformed plastic pond with a fibreglass
repair kit used for car bodywork. The split was below the waterline
(although not when I repaired it), so the repair seemed to be
waterproof and watertight.

--
Chris

Old 22-10-2006, 12:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Oxymel of Squill" wrote in message
reenews.net...
question I also asked in diy group.....
other people have also had leaky Sankeys, anyone know how to fix them?
cheers

My Sankey water butt has developed a leak, a split on the base, even
though
it was standing on one of those clever expensive stands.

I tried mending it with that stuff they sell on QVC which mends leaks in
domestic plumbing, allegedly, but it didn't work. Does anyone have any
suggestions what to fix it with? Or how?

I think that you may be doomed to purchase a new one - or possibly go after
the company for a replacement. AFAIK there are not any products on the
market that would be likely to withstand the amount of pressure generated at
the bottom of a large water butt. If anyone knows different I would be
pleased to hear about such a product.

Gill M

Old 22-10-2006, 12:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

to purchase a new one - or possibly go after
the company for a replacement. AFAIK there are not any products on the
market that would be likely to withstand the amount of pressure generated
at the bottom of a large water butt. If anyone knows different I would be
pleased to hear about such a product.

surely it could hardly be sold if not fit for purpose as you suggest

Old 22-10-2006, 01:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Oxymel of Squill" wrote in message
reenews.net...
to purchase a new one - or possibly go after
the company for a replacement. AFAIK there are not any products on the
market that would be likely to withstand the amount of pressure generated
at the bottom of a large water butt. If anyone knows different I would be
pleased to hear about such a product.

surely it could hardly be sold if not fit for purpose as you suggest

If you find a product for mending water butts then doubtless it will do just
that A product advertised for mending plastic water tanks might also work.
All the products I can recollect seeing are for mending pipes or gutters or
pond linings. As these do not usually have 4 or 5 feet deep water in them
they are not subject to as much pressure as you would get in a water butt.
ISTR that you mentioned that the leak was at the bottom of the butt. The
pressure is related to depth of water above the hole. Hence the popular
lower school physics experiment where you take a tall container and punch
holes at the top the middle and the bottom, fill it with water and observe
the relative length of the jets.

Gill M

Old 22-10-2006, 05:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

surely it could hardly be sold if not fit for purpose as you suggest

If you find a product for mending water butts then doubtless it will do
just that A product advertised for mending plastic water tanks might also
work. All the products I can recollect seeing are for mending pipes or
gutters or pond linings. As these do not usually have 4 or 5 feet deep
water in them they are not subject to as much pressure as you would get in
a water butt. ISTR that you mentioned that the leak was at the bottom of
the butt. The pressure is related to depth of water above the hole. Hence
the popular lower school physics experiment where you take a tall
container and punch holes at the top the middle and the bottom, fill it
with water and observe the relative length of the jets.

Gill M

mmmm well it's only three feet deep, shouldn't get the bends coming up from
that, and the circular shape ought to be quite secure.

Bod at B&Q (not your average mumbling hooded teen joe but a senior citizen
who actually carried around in his pocket a set of photos of the shed he
just built, bit of an enthusiast) reckoned to try flashing tape, the
aluminium (is it?) foil with a layer of tar on one side. I happen to have
some of this so I've given it a try. Perhaps I shall blog about my progress
(!). Failing that he suggested the stuff you waterproof roofs with. And he
gave me Sankey's contact details (they seem a bit shy of the web but phone
is 01159277335 if anyone wants to shout at a minion)

Old 22-10-2006, 05:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Oxymel of Squill" wrote in message
reenews.net...
question I also asked in diy group.....
other people have also had leaky Sankeys, anyone know how to fix them?
cheers

My Sankey water butt has developed a leak, a split on the base, even
though
it was standing on one of those clever expensive stands.

I tried mending it with that stuff they sell on QVC which mends leaks in
domestic plumbing, allegedly, but it didn't work. Does anyone have any
suggestions what to fix it with? Or how?

how long (mm or inches not time) is the split and is it on the flat section
of the base if so,

With butt empty of course.

1. Drill a small hole (say 3mm diameter) at each end of the split to stop it
generating.
2. From the inside, clean around split with alcohol or meths and let it dry.
3. Get a largish piece of plastic, cut from say a 1 gallon container or
large milk carton.
4. Using stop cock grease or even silicone sealant give item 3 a good thick
coating.
5. Slap it on the split and place a heavy weight say an old brick on top. In
fact leave the brick in place when the butt is full.

Water pressure will add to the sealing...........

well that's what I would try.

Old 22-10-2006, 06:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

good thought, I fear if I got that far into the butt I'd not be able to
crawl out again. Fixing the tap when it leaked was nightmare enough

if anyone wants to abuse the customer services department of Sankeys
http://www.touchnottingham.com/busin...st/bid/2764549
seems to promise contact of some sort

Old 23-10-2006, 06:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Oxymel of Squill" wrote in message
reenews.net...
question I also asked in diy group.....
other people have also had leaky Sankeys, anyone know how to fix them?
cheers

My Sankey water butt has developed a leak, a split on the base, even

though
it was standing on one of those clever expensive stands.

I tried mending it with that stuff they sell on QVC which mends leaks in
domestic plumbing, allegedly, but it didn't work. Does anyone have any
suggestions what to fix it with? Or how?

Hi
repaired a similar leak 8 years ago with 2 patches stuck on with araldite.
Still going strong, but then I know nowt about physics.

Old 23-10-2006, 06:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"david sutcliffe" wrote in message

"Oxymel of Squill" wrote in message
reenews.net...
question I also asked in diy group.....
other people have also had leaky Sankeys, anyone know how to fix them?
cheers

My Sankey water butt has developed a leak, a split on the base, even

though
it was standing on one of those clever expensive stands.

I tried mending it with that stuff they sell on QVC which mends leaks in
domestic plumbing, allegedly, but it didn't work. Does anyone have any
suggestions what to fix it with? Or how?

Hi
repaired a similar leak 8 years ago with 2 patches stuck on with araldite.
Still going strong, but then I know nowt about physics.

Ah!! Shades of Aerodynamics and the Bumble Bee. According to the experts, it
can't fly, but nobody told the Bumble Bee :-))

Mike

--
.................................................. .........
www.rnshipmates.co.uk

Old 24-10-2006, 09:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

question I also asked in diy group.....
other people have also had leaky Sankeys, anyone know how to fix them?
cheers

My Sankey water butt has developed a leak, a split on the base, even though
it was standing on one of those clever expensive stands.

I tried mending it with that stuff they sell on QVC which mends leaks in
domestic plumbing, allegedly, but it didn't work. Does anyone have any
suggestions what to fix it with? Or how?

Sikaflex

It worked on ours

Old 26-10-2006, 11:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , david sutcliffe
writes

other people have also had leaky Sankeys, anyone know how to fix them?

repaired a similar leak 8 years ago with 2 patches stuck on with araldite.
Still going strong, but then I know nowt about physics.

I welded a crack in a polyethylene one with a soldering iron: this was
successful in mending the crack.

However, the butt was several years old and the plastic might have been
losing its strength. Or the design might've been suboptimal: the base
had a three-inch wide rim on which the weight rested, and a recessed
centre which was supporting the water but not getting any support.
One night the bottom fell out of the butt and we had to replace it after
all.

--
Sue ];(
Old 27-10-2006, 08:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message ews.net,
Oxymel of Squill writes
question I also asked in diy group.....
other people have also had leaky Sankeys, anyone know how to fix them?
cheers

My Sankey water butt has developed a leak, a split on the base, even though
it was standing on one of those clever expensive stands.

I tried mending it with that stuff they sell on QVC which mends leaks in
domestic plumbing, allegedly, but it didn't work. Does anyone have any
suggestions what to fix it with? Or how?

There used to be some stuff called 'Fix that leak', which was sold by
mail order but I suspect that may be the same thing you have tried. If
not, it may work.
--
June Hughes
Old 27-06-2011, 05:17 PM
Registered User

I found this blogg when looking for a fix for a thrown away rian butt I am trying to resurrect. After reading the responses I have come up with my own solutions, albeit informed by others on this bb.
This involved the following: detergent and a scrub brush, a small blow torch, glue gun stick, two strips (each the length of the crack plus about 4 inches (100mm)) of foil tape (i think this is for roofing work) and is 3 inch (75mm) wide foil with backing paper, a quarter inch (6mm) drill bit and drill, and 7/8th inch (22mm) selant strip for bathrooms and kitchens, the same length as the foil tape above.
First drill quarter inch (6mm) holes on each end of the crack, to discourage the crack extending itself. Then scrub clean the crack on both sides and at least two inches (50mm) around it , inside and out. Rinse well. Position the crack on the outside to being at the top of the butt, when lying on ots side. Use the blow torch to dry and heat up the crack area, until the surface just begins to blister. Mlet the glue gun stick with the blow torch and drip it into the crack, l,etting it flow in by gravity. Apply one of the lengths of foil tape over melted glue, with thew crack in the centre, and press the tape down to press the melted glue into the crack and seal the area around it. Turn the butt so that you can reach inside and the crack is now at the bottom. Repeat the action with the blow torch on this side, slightly blistering the surface, applying melted glue, but this time apply the sealant strip. after removing its backing. Press this tight into place, again forcing the melted gluer into the crack. Finally apply the last piece of foil tape over the sealant strip, pressing it ouit to best cover the repair area.
A final touch is to wrap duct tape around the whole butt at the level of the crack to stop any bulging in this area which might weaken the repair.
I just tried this all out, and, at least initially, it seems to work.
Michael Rosenbaum

Keeping water butt water safe for drinking? AL_n United Kingdom 73 11-03-2012 11:00 AM
Water butt beastie Brian Watson United Kingdom 9 03-07-2003 11:32 PM
Water butt beastie Brian Watson Ponds 12 03-07-2003 11:32 PM
Water Butt Repair? Drakanthus United Kingdom 7 07-05-2003 01:44 AM
Algae in water butt Mary Fisher United Kingdom 11 25-03-2003 05:56 AM