Old 22-10-2006, 06:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Oxymel of Squill Oxymel of Squill is offline

Default water butt leak

good thought, I fear if I got that far into the butt I'd not be able to
crawl out again. Fixing the tap when it leaked was nightmare enough

if anyone wants to abuse the customer services department of Sankeys
http://www.touchnottingham.com/busin...st/bid/2764549
seems to promise contact of some sort

With butt empty of course.

1. Drill a small hole (say 3mm diameter) at each end of the split to stop
it generating.
2. From the inside, clean around split with alcohol or meths and let it
dry.
3. Get a largish piece of plastic, cut from say a 1 gallon container or
large milk carton.
4. Using stop cock grease or even silicone sealant give item 3 a good
thick coating.
5. Slap it on the split and place a heavy weight say an old brick on top.
In fact leave the brick in place when the butt is full.

Water pressure will add to the sealing...........

well that's what I would try.