Old 22-03-2003, 04:45 PM
Mike

Default Vine Weevil Larvae in outside soil.

In article ,
lid writes
Hi,

Can anyone help please.

I dug up some Astilbes the other day with the intention of dividing them
and I noticed there were a dozen or so Vine Weevil larvae and also what
looked like eggs. I've thrown away the Astilbes and had a sift through
the surrounding soil picking out what larvae and eggs I could find.

All the advice I can find on dealing with Vine Weevil assumes container
grown plants or plants in a green house. Mine are in the outside soil in
a border of the garden, with other established shrubs nearby. Is there
anything further I should do?

Many thanks

Ellen.

When Joan found the same thing, she did as you have done, left the hole
open as if to plant something else, then poured boiling water all over
the soil. In the hole and the surrounding soil. A couple of kettles
full. Left it for a while, couple of days, then examined the soil.
Filled the hole and re planted with new plants. No problem again :-))
That was either last Spring or the Spring before :-))

Mike

Forthcoming reunions. Royal Navy Social Weekend Sussex May 2nd - 5th.
H.M.S.Collingwood Association Chatham May 30th - June 2nd
British Pacific Fleet Hayling Island Sept 5th - 8th
Castle Class Corvettes Assn. Isle of Wight. Oct 3rd - 6th. Plus many more