Old 23-10-2006, 10:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Farm1 Farm1 is offline

Default Prunus? - identity

I'm trying to find out the name for a plant which is very common in
old Australian gardens and which I'm sure must also be well known in
the UK. Its a small shrub which suckers copiously and spread easily
in good conditions but seldom gets more than about waist high. It has
flowers like a prunus in either white but more commonly pink. Quite a
dull little plant except for a brief time in Spring.

It's the sort of plant that grew in Grannies gardens and the ancient
maiden Aunt always had one - very old fashioned so I don't think it
would have been a plant that has had much attention from the nursery
trade (and I've never seen it for sale) but would have been handed on
by digging up a sucker or three.

Anyone got any ideas?