Old 23-10-2006, 10:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Prunus? - identity

I'm trying to find out the name for a plant which is very common in
old Australian gardens and which I'm sure must also be well known in
the UK. Its a small shrub which suckers copiously and spread easily
in good conditions but seldom gets more than about waist high. It has
flowers like a prunus in either white but more commonly pink. Quite a
dull little plant except for a brief time in Spring.

It's the sort of plant that grew in Grannies gardens and the ancient
maiden Aunt always had one - very old fashioned so I don't think it
would have been a plant that has had much attention from the nursery
trade (and I've never seen it for sale) but would have been handed on
by digging up a sucker or three.

Anyone got any ideas?

Old 23-10-2006, 01:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Farm1 wrote:
I'm trying to find out the name for a plant which is very common in
old Australian gardens and which I'm sure must also be well known in
the UK. Its a small shrub which suckers copiously and spread easily
in good conditions but seldom gets more than about waist high. It has
flowers like a prunus in either white but more commonly pink. Quite a
dull little plant except for a brief time in Spring.

It's the sort of plant that grew in Grannies gardens and the ancient
maiden Aunt always had one - very old fashioned so I don't think it
would have been a plant that has had much attention from the nursery
trade (and I've never seen it for sale) but would have been handed on
by digging up a sucker or three.

Anyone got any ideas?

Any chance of a link to some photos?

--
Mike.

Old 23-10-2006, 05:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Mike Lyle writes

Farm1 wrote:
I'm trying to find out the name for a plant which is very common in
old Australian gardens and which I'm sure must also be well known in
the UK. Its a small shrub which suckers copiously and spread easily
in good conditions but seldom gets more than about waist high. It has
flowers like a prunus in either white but more commonly pink. Quite a
dull little plant except for a brief time in Spring.

It's the sort of plant that grew in Grannies gardens and the ancient
maiden Aunt always had one - very old fashioned so I don't think it
would have been a plant that has had much attention from the nursery
trade (and I've never seen it for sale) but would have been handed on
by digging up a sucker or three.

Anyone got any ideas?

Any chance of a link to some photos?

Any fruit on it?
--
Kay
Old 23-10-2006, 07:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Użytkownik "Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow napisał w wiadomości
I'm trying to find out the name for a plant which is very common in
old Australian gardens and which I'm sure must also be well known in
the UK. Its a small shrub which suckers copiously and spread easily
in good conditions but seldom gets more than about waist high. It has
flowers like a prunus in either white but more commonly pink. Quite a
dull little plant except for a brief time in Spring.

Prunus tenella perhaps?

Regards, Barbara.

Old 24-10-2006, 11:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"K" wrote in message
Mike Lyle writes
Farm1 wrote:
[...]

It never has any sort of fruit, just these soft fluffy wee flowers in
Spring. And it's not the Prunus tenella sugggested by Barbara (thanks
for that suggestion). And I don't have a web site to link to a pic
unfortunately.

Old 24-10-2006, 12:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Basia Kulesz" wrote in message
Użytkownik "Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow napisał w wiadomości

And it's not the Prunus tenella sugggested by Barbara (thanks
for that suggestion). And I don't have a web site to link to a

pic
unfortunately.

Well, try Prunus glandulosa then Equally small, equally overrated

as a
garden shrub IMO.

By George, you've done it :-)) Thank you so much for that help.
You're a genius given my rotten description :-)) Found this site and
it looks just like my dear little scruffy bush (which I have always
adored - it's tough and hardy and has flowered even thorugh the
drought :-)))
http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/c...hrubs/prunus_g
landulosa.html