Old 22-03-2003, 06:08 PM
Cass

Default Fish Emulsion.

Huskies4all wrote:

In article Icyca.88526$3D1.3328@sccrnsc01, says...
Mill's Magic and with my Alaskan Fish Emulsion and the Alfalfa
mixed with the iron chelate and so forth I am sure they will look
like roses on steroids

Hello, I was wondering if Fish Emulsion was made from the actual fish
themselves or from their manure. My family owns a trout/sturgeon
hatchery, and I have an unlimited supply of either.

Fish emulsion is made from fish themselves, with some processing.
Somewhere on a State of Alaska website is directions for homemade fish
emulsion involving soaking fish collars in a 50 gallon barrel for 10 -
14 days. Of course, considering how that smells, you might have to stay
in a motel for the last 7.

Here are involved instructions from GardenWeb:
http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/lists/o...041031662.html

What makes it good for roses?

That is an interesting question. Animal byproducts can be used to
produce nitrogen fertilizers: blood meal is the key example. I think
the allure of fish emulsion is that it is organnic and there might just
be a smig of fish oil in there that, if you dump it over the top of the
rose, acts like horticultural oil.

The advertising for one fish emulsion outfit states: "Neptune's Harvest
is an organic fertilizer made from fresh North Atlantic fish.* It is
made by a unique cold process that protects the vitamins, amino
acids, enzymes and growth hormones.**It also contains all the micro and
macro nutrients naturally found in fish.* The nitrogen and other
nutrients are chelated, so they are readily available for plants
consumption. Unlike fish emulsions, Neptune's Harvest retains the fish
proteins and oils and has no unpleasant odor.*" Another description
is: "It is produced using a cold process, employing enzymes (natural
biological catalysts) which break down fish, or fish frames (the part
left over after the fillet is removed) to simpler protein complexes.
This process is called hydrolysis. No synthetic materials are mixed
into the fish hydrolysate, and the only manipulation the product
undergoes is grinding. This process yeilds a stable, nonoderous, liquid
fertilizer that is an easy to use, safe product. No inorganic nitrogen
is added to the product at all. "