Old 24-10-2006, 08:15 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Eric Hunt Eric Hunt is offline

Default 2008 World Orchid Conference

Ray,

There are some people who are planning on skipping the WOC in Miami, for
a couple reasons.

Miami is expensive, first and foremost.

The second reason - some of the specialty affinity groups, like the
Pleurothallid Alliance and the Odontoglossum Alliance, have been denied
speaker's slots during the official show times. They can only speak
before or after the show, thereby increasing costs for the members of
those affinity groups.

I'm hearing some people talk about going down to a show in Medellin,
Colombia, at the same time as the WOC. There are early talks for
Medellin to host meetings of the Pleurothallid and Odontoglossum Alliances.

I personally probably will not go to Miami, and will take a good look at
Colombia if there is an alternative event. I prefer going to orchid
country over a big city - the cities will always be there, but orchids
in the wild are rapidly disappearing, and the costs will be similiar or
lower to go to Colombia over Miami.

-Eric in SF
www.orchidphotos.org

Ray L. wrote:
Has anyone started planning on going to this yet? I already have my room