Old 24-10-2006, 05:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,bionet.mycology
[email protected] dwheeler@ipns.com is offline

Default Unknown Paxillus (Cambridge, UK)

Nick Maclaren wrote:
There is a Paxillus that I can't identify that grows every year
in my garden. It is very like P. involutus, but is twice the size
(8-12" in diameter). It is either mycorrhizal or harmlessly
parasitic on birch.

Any ideas?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

P. involutus is a very common mycorrhizal fungi associated with various
birch species locally. It often reaches 6-8 inches, and I wouldn't be
surprised to see a 12" diameter specimen, although IMO few are likely
to reach that size.

Daniel B. Wheeler