Old 21-10-2006, 01:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,bionet.mycology

Default Unknown Paxillus (Cambridge, UK)

There is a Paxillus that I can't identify that grows every year
in my garden. It is very like P. involutus, but is twice the size
(8-12" in diameter). It is either mycorrhizal or harmlessly
parasitic on birch.

Any ideas?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 23-10-2006, 06:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,bionet.mycology

A last followup.

http://www.bioimages.org.uk/HTML/B147197.HTM

Hah!

If all of the books have been wrong about the size of P. involutus,
as Alick is quoted as saying, then that is the likely species. I shall
fiddle with ammonia, and see if I can manage to make my father's field
microscope work on the spores, but it was really only the size that
made me doubt P. involutus.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 24-10-2006, 05:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,bionet.mycology

Nick Maclaren wrote:
There is a Paxillus that I can't identify that grows every year
in my garden. It is very like P. involutus, but is twice the size
(8-12" in diameter). It is either mycorrhizal or harmlessly
parasitic on birch.

Any ideas?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

P. involutus is a very common mycorrhizal fungi associated with various
birch species locally. It often reaches 6-8 inches, and I wouldn't be
surprised to see a 12" diameter specimen, although IMO few are likely
to reach that size.

Daniel B. Wheeler

Old 25-10-2006, 12:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,bionet.mycology

In article ,
" writes:

| P. involutus is a very common mycorrhizal fungi associated with various
| birch species locally. It often reaches 6-8 inches, and I wouldn't be
| surprised to see a 12" diameter specimen, although IMO few are likely
| to reach that size.

From the reference in Field Mycology, it appears that few books have

caught up with even the 6-8". With the correction that up to 10" or so
occurs, everything falls into place.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.