Old 26-10-2006, 02:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
®óñ© © ² * ¹°°³ ®óñ©  ©  ² * ¹°°³ is offline

Default Wind has snapped my potatoe plants in half. Can I do anything?

On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 14:02:23 +0100, tina wrote
and included this (or some of this):

Hi,

I was trying to grow 5 potatoe plants in containers, they looked to be
doing really well and i kept on banking the soil up round the stalks,
but they went wild & grew a lot taller than the pot.

Last nights strong wind has now snapped them all.

I have pulled one up & there are small bean shaped potatoes on them.

Is there anything i can do a)to reover these 5 plants

Probably not if the spuds are that small just now.. I was doing
the same in a several large buckets and had to resort to putting half
a dozen canes in each container around the top-growth and tying up the
stalks. MInd you, the crop was well-advanced at that stage and ended
up well.

b) In future to stop it happenning again?

Well you could try sticking the containers in a corner or somewhere
sheltered by a windbreak whilst still receiving adequate sunlight.

--
®óñ© © ² * ¹°°³