Old 26-10-2006, 02:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Wind has snapped my potatoe plants in half. Can I do anything?

Hi,

I was trying to grow 5 potatoe plants in containers, they looked to be
doing really well and i kept on banking the soil up round the stalks,
but they went wild & grew a lot taller than the pot.

Last nights strong wind has now snapped them all.

I have pulled one up & there are small bean shaped potatoes on them.

Is there anything i can do a)to reover these 5 plants & b) In future
to stop it happenning again?

Thanks very much.
Old 26-10-2006, 02:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 14:02:23 +0100, tina wrote
and included this (or some of this):

Hi,

I was trying to grow 5 potatoe plants in containers, they looked to be
doing really well and i kept on banking the soil up round the stalks,
but they went wild & grew a lot taller than the pot.

Last nights strong wind has now snapped them all.

I have pulled one up & there are small bean shaped potatoes on them.

Is there anything i can do a)to reover these 5 plants

Probably not if the spuds are that small just now.. I was doing
the same in a several large buckets and had to resort to putting half
a dozen canes in each container around the top-growth and tying up the
stalks. MInd you, the crop was well-advanced at that stage and ended
up well.

b) In future to stop it happenning again?

Well you could try sticking the containers in a corner or somewhere
sheltered by a windbreak whilst still receiving adequate sunlight.

--
®óñ© © ² * ¹°°³

Old 26-10-2006, 11:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

tina wrote:
Hi,

I was trying to grow 5 potatoe plants in containers, they looked to be
doing really well and i kept on banking the soil up round the stalks,
but they went wild & grew a lot taller than the pot.

Last nights strong wind has now snapped them all.

I have pulled one up & there are small bean shaped potatoes on them.

Did you empty the container? I bet you've got some much larger tatties
below. As discussed in an earlier thread, even the small "beans" are
edible -- just wash them, no need to peel.

Is there anything i can do a)to reover these 5 plants

If they're just bent and not actually broken in pieces, you could bind
them up with parcel tape and stake them. I got a partially-snapped
cucumber to continue growing a cuc that way -- small, but better than
nothing. But at this point in the growing season, I think it's time to
call it a day.

Chris

Old 27-10-2006, 12:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"tina" wrote in message
Hi,

I was trying to grow 5 potatoe plants in containers, they looked to be
doing really well and i kept on banking the soil up round the stalks,
but they went wild & grew a lot taller than the pot.

Last nights strong wind has now snapped them all.

I have pulled one up & there are small bean shaped potatoes on them.

Is there anything i can do a)to reover these 5 plants & b) In future
to stop it happenning again?

Thanks very much.

Hi,

As you had earthed the pots up, all you needed to do was leave well alone.
New top growth would have come from below soil level and made more stems
below ground and subsequently more roots and potatoes.
May have been smaller potatoes, more suited for boiling/steaming rather than
chipping, but would have had some crop.
I have planted some sprouting spuds in containers about 3 weeks ago, these
will be placed in cold greenhouse when frosts appear , and left until
christmas day. fresh new/baby potatoes for steaming rather than boiling.
regards
Cineman