Old 26-10-2006, 10:46 PM posted to aus.gardens
Farm1 Farm1 is offline

Default Water restrictions and gardens

"0tterbot" wrote in message
"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote in message

I've got no sympathy with whingers who live in the city and

complain
about the nasties in their water or the lack of it or anything

about
it. They need to get off their arses and see what is happening in
some of our rural communities. It's simply appalling and sucking

the
guts out of the country. I know you've lived in the country so

you
have some idea, but most people are simply clueless except for how

it
impacts on them as the water comes readily from their taps.

since i got here (the country) i've really noticed what a gap there

is
between city people & country people. sadly, it's the majority (city

people)
who just haven't got the first idea about anything! but the onus is

on
country people to stop whingeing & educate them. the two lots are

entirely
interdependent, but you wouldn't know that from observing them.

Having lived in the country for the majority of my life, I strongly
think that country people have more idea of the interdependance and
the realities of life than city people do. We've been in drought for
6 whole years but it is only now that the major metro papers seem to
have woken up about it and only then because the cost of food is
really going to bite the city residents. Lord knows where they
thought (if they did think at all) of where their food came from.
Water and how much of it is available has really been much lower down
the agenda because in comparison to the country, our major cities are
relativeley well supplied and taking it from miles and miles away into
the cities..

I can't stomach whinging about no water for lawns when I know of

one
community where the hairdressers are saying to clients that they

can't
wash their hair so come to the appointment with washed hair. And

the
hairdressers are only the tip of the iceberg. Everyone in that
community is hurting and going broke. We'll leave this drought

with
devastated rural communities.

i agree, but equally, now is the time for rural peeps to be

rethinking how
they do things. i realise they ARE rethinking how to do things, of

course,
but frankly they can't rethink soon enough. they need to have

rethought 5
years ago, because implementing change takes time. but 5 years ago

they
thought they were a protected species & change hasn't been fast

enough.
climate change & global warming were known phenomena 5 years ago; i

find it
sad things need to become critical before people rethink some of

their
methodology, but there you have it, it's the way it's always been.

They've been doing soemthing about it for many more than 5 years with
a few exceptions (like Cubbie).

Farmers were talking about Global warming and climate change long
before the bulk of the population. Only the real lunatic city fringe
were talking about those things when I knew of dead boring and very
conservative farmers who'd noticed the impact on their land. They had
not only started talking about it but were also doing something about
it. It all started with dry land salinity problems anfdGod knows
farmers have been working on that problem for at least the last 15-20
years..

i think this post sounds like i'm really down on farmers & of course

i'm
not. the whole country needs a reality check while they're sitting

with
their air-conditioning on worrying about climate change. it defies

belief,
really. i blame the government g

:-)) Well don't we all. But it is a long and not well publicised
battle. If people don't buy or read the rural newspapers or follow
rural issues then they certainly don't see or know of what is
happening. Farmers are **** poor at getting their issues across to
the wider population and I'm not sure if that is because farmers are
such a conservative bunch or because the rest of the population would
rather watch idiot shows on TV to finding out what could come around
and bite them on the arse or what it is.