Old 22-03-2003, 07:44 PM
Steve

Default Yellowing leaves on phals

Phals drop a lower leaf from time to time as they grow a new one at the
top. Stress will make them loose more than one leaf. The stress can be
temperature extremes, lower humidity, under watering, loss of roots,
light changes perhaps.
The change from greenhouse conditions to home conditions is enough to
loose a couple of leaves. Who knows what kind of stress it might have
experienced on the way to the show. Check to make sure it has good
roots. If it only had 5 leaves and is dropping 3, that's pretty bad. If
it had 7 leaves and is dropping 2, that's not too bad. You get the idea.

Steve

rick wrote:
hi all:

I bought a healthy phal the other day from an orchid show. Now after a few
days in my house, I am noticing that the older leaves at the bottom are
turning yellow and dying. is it normal for them to do that or am I doing
something wrong? I have put them under fluorescent light along with the
other phals. The plant had perfect green leaves all throughout when it was
bought.

thanks

Rick