Old 26-10-2006, 11:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] chris_doran@postmaster.co.uk is offline

Default Wind has snapped my potatoe plants in half. Can I do anything?

tina wrote:
Hi,

I was trying to grow 5 potatoe plants in containers, they looked to be
doing really well and i kept on banking the soil up round the stalks,
but they went wild & grew a lot taller than the pot.

Last nights strong wind has now snapped them all.

I have pulled one up & there are small bean shaped potatoes on them.

Did you empty the container? I bet you've got some much larger tatties
below. As discussed in an earlier thread, even the small "beans" are
edible -- just wash them, no need to peel.

Is there anything i can do a)to reover these 5 plants

If they're just bent and not actually broken in pieces, you could bind
them up with parcel tape and stake them. I got a partially-snapped
cucumber to continue growing a cuc that way -- small, but better than
nothing. But at this point in the growing season, I think it's time to
call it a day.

Chris