Old 28-10-2006, 07:54 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
simy1 simy1 is offline

Default Almost Fuyu Time!

The Cook wrote:

My DIL brought me about 15 pounds of persimmons last week. She said
they are Japanese persimmons. I have never eaten one, much less try
to make something from them. I like the idea of drying them.

They range in color from light green to orange and all are firm. All
information and ideas appreciated.

Ripeness is paramount, otherwise they are unpalatable. To be ripe, a
persimmon has to be soft to the touch. She picked them unripe because
the racoons get them otherwise. Ripened on the counter they are only
slightly inferior to the few that make it onto the tree.

I grew up with a tree in the yard, and I don't think you can top eating
them raw with a spoon once they are fully ripe.