Old 25-10-2006, 10:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Almost Fuyu Time!

My diligence (and willingness to hose down perps) has paid off big
time! I have twenty fuyu persimmons turning that beautiful burnished
orange/rust. At what point are these rubies ready to harvest?
Hachiya brown and turn mushy; fuyu's remain solid all the way
through...

The Ranger

Old 26-10-2006, 07:25 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article , cuhulain___98
@yahoo.com says...
My diligence (and willingness to hose down perps) has paid off big
time! I have twenty fuyu persimmons turning that beautiful burnished
orange/rust. At what point are these rubies ready to harvest?
Hachiya brown and turn mushy; fuyu's remain solid all the way
through...

The Ranger

We've been eating Izu Fuyus here for a couple of weeks. Fuyus will get
soft if left long enough, it's just you can eat them hard with out
having your face implode.

The wife has been peeling, slicing, and drying the hard ones into
persimmon chips. She takes the soft ones and makes persimmon leather.

We lose a few to possums, rats, catbirds, and scrub jays.

Bill
--
Gmail and Google Groups. This century's answer to AOL and WebTV.
Old 26-10-2006, 01:57 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Bill wrote in message
In article , cuhulain___98

@yahoo.com says...
My diligence (and willingness to hose down perps) has
paid off big time! I have twenty fuyu persimmons turning
that beautiful burnished orange/rust. At what point are
these rubies ready to harvest? Hachiya brown and turn
mushy; fuyu's remain solid all the way through...

We've been eating Izu Fuyus here for a couple of weeks.
Fuyus will get soft if left long enough, it's just you can eat
them hard with out having your face implode.

Cool! I'll harvest them today. The resident orbweaver'll be pleased;
she'll have the tree all to herself once I'm done.

We lose a few to possums, rats, catbirds, and scrub jays.

My only pests are Two-Legged Walkers. I've found one thing to deter
them; direct confrontation. They're a cagey lot but I won this
season's harvest.

The Ranger

Old 26-10-2006, 09:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article , cuhulain___98
@yahoo.com says...

snip

My only pests are Two-Legged Walkers. I've found one thing to deter
them; direct confrontation. They're a cagey lot but I won this
season's harvest.

The Ranger

My Fuyu is in the back yard. I haven't had anyone stupid enough to
climb the fence and discuss dining arrangements with 'da boys' yet.
Named Rusty and Kodiak. Boxer and Chow, respectively.

In the front I've got Moro Bloods, Satsama Owaris, Kara Karas,
Lisbons, and Meiwas citrus and don't have a problem with Two Legged
Walkers, probably because citrus is so common around here that they've
already got it growing at home. OTOH, they've worried the neighbor's
across the street plum so much she finally had it removed because she
was afraid of getting sued if one of the little b*sturds fell out of it
and did itself an injury. My suggestion was an inch and a half hose at
65 psi with a motion detctor, but she wasn't up for it.

Bill
--
Gmail and Google Groups. This century's answer to AOL and WebTV.
Old 28-10-2006, 02:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 14:50:48 -0700, "The Ranger"
wrote:

My diligence (and willingness to hose down perps) has paid off big
time! I have twenty fuyu persimmons turning that beautiful burnished
orange/rust. At what point are these rubies ready to harvest?
Hachiya brown and turn mushy; fuyu's remain solid all the way
through...

The Ranger

My DIL brought me about 15 pounds of persimmons last week. She said
they are Japanese persimmons. I have never eaten one, much less try
to make something from them. I like the idea of drying them.

They range in color from light green to orange and all are firm. All
information and ideas appreciated.
--
Susan N.

Old 28-10-2006, 04:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

The Cook wrote in message
My DIL brought me about 15 pounds of persimmons last week.
She said they are Japanese persimmons. I have never eaten one,
much less try to make something from them. I like the idea of
drying them.

They range in color from light green to orange and all are firm.
All information and ideas appreciated.

I've been enjoying my bountiful harvest of Fuyus as: dessert
toppings with French Vanilla Bean ice cream, raw (simply peeled and
sliced up then eaten as is), and last night on a spinach salad with
a mild orange vinagrette. The Hachiya are strictly reserved for my
MIL who makes some of the BEST persimmon pudding!

The Ranger

Old 28-10-2006, 07:54 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

The Cook wrote:

My DIL brought me about 15 pounds of persimmons last week. She said
they are Japanese persimmons. I have never eaten one, much less try
to make something from them. I like the idea of drying them.

They range in color from light green to orange and all are firm. All
information and ideas appreciated.

Ripeness is paramount, otherwise they are unpalatable. To be ripe, a
persimmon has to be soft to the touch. She picked them unripe because
the racoons get them otherwise. Ripened on the counter they are only
slightly inferior to the few that make it onto the tree.

I grew up with a tree in the yard, and I don't think you can top eating
them raw with a spoon once they are fully ripe.

Old 28-10-2006, 11:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 10/28/06 11:54 AM, in article
, "simy1"
wrote:

To be ripe, a
persimmon has to be soft to the touch.

That is certainly not true of fuyus. Because of texture, that is why I do
not use the soft ones even though they are sweeter.

Bill
-- Fermez le Bush

Old 29-10-2006, 04:09 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

You need to know which kind of Japanese persimmon you have. Both should be
orange. The flattened Fuyus are OK to eat firm. The acorn-shaped Hachiyas
need to be as soft as a water balloon before you eat them. If you eat one
before that, you will never forget it as long as you live. Freezing or
drying will remove the astringency, though.

Dried whole Hachiya persimmons are wonderful--like dates, but with a
persimmon flavor. Google "drying whole persimmons" and you will find plenty
of info.

Old 29-10-2006, 10:08 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sun, 29 Oct 2006 08:09:21 -0800, "tuckermo"
wrote:

You need to know which kind of Japanese persimmon you have. Both should be
orange. The flattened Fuyus are OK to eat firm. The acorn-shaped Hachiyas
need to be as soft as a water balloon before you eat them. If you eat one
before that, you will never forget it as long as you live. Freezing or
drying will remove the astringency, though.

Dried whole Hachiya persimmons are wonderful--like dates, but with a
persimmon flavor. Google "drying whole persimmons" and you will find plenty
of info.

They are definitely Fuyu. I ate one this afternoon and it was sweet
but still firm. I will probably slice and dehydrate most of them to
use as a snack.
--
Susan N.