Old 28-10-2006, 05:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rhiannon Macfie Miller Rhiannon Macfie Miller is offline

Default Sweetcorn in Scotland

I'm thinking of trying sweetcorn next year. I'm in Perthshire, so I
know this might be a bit of a risk. I also have quite clayish soil,
which I gather sweetcorn doesn't like (though I plan to germinate them
in the greenhouse in any event, so maybe that doesn't matter so much).

The only varieties I can find that say they have good cold tolerance are
all Supersweets, and I had thought that Supersweets were more sensitive
in general than traditional varieties. Am I wrong about this? Would I
be better off going for a quick-maturing Supersweet or one of the older
varieties?

Rhiannon