Old 28-10-2006, 05:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Sweetcorn in Scotland

I'm thinking of trying sweetcorn next year. I'm in Perthshire, so I
know this might be a bit of a risk. I also have quite clayish soil,
which I gather sweetcorn doesn't like (though I plan to germinate them
in the greenhouse in any event, so maybe that doesn't matter so much).

The only varieties I can find that say they have good cold tolerance are
all Supersweets, and I had thought that Supersweets were more sensitive
in general than traditional varieties. Am I wrong about this? Would I
be better off going for a quick-maturing Supersweet or one of the older
varieties?

Rhiannon
Old 28-10-2006, 06:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rhiannon Macfie Miller" wrote ...
I'm thinking of trying sweetcorn next year. I'm in Perthshire, so I
know this might be a bit of a risk. I also have quite clayish soil,
which I gather sweetcorn doesn't like (though I plan to germinate them
in the greenhouse in any event, so maybe that doesn't matter so much).

The only varieties I can find that say they have good cold tolerance are
all Supersweets, and I had thought that Supersweets were more sensitive
in general than traditional varieties. Am I wrong about this? Would I
be better off going for a quick-maturing Supersweet or one of the older
varieties?

The "supersweet" varieties are all short and quick growing plants so are the
ones to go for, heavy clay soil never caused us any problems on our old
allotment with sweetcorn but we also start them off about the beginning of
May in our heated greenhouse (min 55°F) in a multipurpose compost and heated
propagator to start with.
Suck it and see is always our motto. :-)

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 28-10-2006, 07:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rhiannon Macfie Miller" wrote in message
I'm thinking of trying sweetcorn next year. I'm in Perthshire, so I
know this might be a bit of a risk. I also have quite clayish soil,
which I gather sweetcorn doesn't like (though I plan to germinate them
in the greenhouse in any event, so maybe that doesn't matter so much).

The only varieties I can find that say they have good cold tolerance are
all Supersweets, and I had thought that Supersweets were more sensitive
in general than traditional varieties. Am I wrong about this? Would I
be better off going for a quick-maturing Supersweet or one of the older
varieties?

I have grown supersweets inpreference to traditional varieties for several
years because I found that traditional varieties failed to ripen when I was
growing in Warrington which must be 150 miles further south. I have
continued growing supersweets since I moved to Berkshire on a clay on
gravel/chalk soil and have had no significant problems with disease or pest
except maybe earwigs. I start them early indoors then plant them out in May
when they are about 6" high.

Gill M

Old 30-10-2006, 05:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bob Hobden wrote:
[...]

Great, thanks for that. Have now ordered some Earlibird and looking
forward to growing it next year.

Rhiannon