Old 22-03-2003, 08:44 PM
Richard Savage

Default Pruning Beech

Thanks Fmurl,

fmurl wrote:

Richard Savage wrote:

I have two Beech hedges approx 10' high and maybe 4 - 5' deep. Despite
the winter winds there are still some leaves on the branches.

They'll be gone in a couple of weeks, which is why now is a good time to
prune.

Do you mean that I can only prune it while the dead leaves are still on the
branches? Presumably this is before this years buds start to appear??

How far back can I prune the hedges and when should I do it?

They're pretty hard. For example, I've just cut two feet from the tops, one
foot from the front and eight inches from the back of a seven foot by six
foot hedge. I was advised, however, not to get too carried away as they can
go into shock. I got a pro in because *I* didn't want to clear the
rubbish...

Cutting that far back is, I assume, a long way beyond (i.e. closer to the trunk)
last years growth?

--
Please reply to the group, respect follow-ups and don't email me. Thank you.

Many thanks

Richard