Old 30-10-2006, 05:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rhiannon Macfie Miller Rhiannon Macfie Miller is offline

Default Sweetcorn in Scotland

Bob Hobden wrote:
"Rhiannon Macfie Miller" wrote ...

The only varieties I can find that say they have good cold tolerance

are
all Supersweets, and I had thought that Supersweets were more

sensitive
in general than traditional varieties. Am I wrong about this? Would

be better off going for a quick-maturing Supersweet or one of the

older
varieties?

The "supersweet" varieties are all short and quick growing plants so

are the
ones to go for, heavy clay soil never caused us any problems on our

old
allotment with sweetcorn but we also start them off about the

beginning of
May in our heated greenhouse (min 55°F) in a multipurpose compost and

heated
propagator to start with.

Great, thanks for that. Have now ordered some Earlibird and looking
forward to growing it next year.

Rhiannon