Old 31-10-2006, 09:38 AM posted to aus.gardens
Chookie Chookie is offline

Default Water restrictions and gardens

In article
,
Terryc wrote:

'³Agricultural land around Sydney is critically important, particularly
when
you consider that 90 per cent of the perishable vegetables eaten in Sydney
and
40 per cent of NSW¹s eggs are produced right here,² Parker says.

Egg production isn't agriculture in my books. It is a highy
industrialised process and utilises a highly processed feed stock. If
you remove the electricity supply, chickens start dieing real fast.

Well, you and I don't control the definition of 'agriculture'.

Unfortunately, the boxes of goods at the market do not reflect this 90%.
I suspect that the good old prof has drawn a very fine line as to what
are "perishable vegetables" and is probably thinking things like some
chinese veges, etc.

I think so -- herbs, lettuce, bok choy etc -- not things like spuds and
carrots.

Parker says that the farm gate value of agriculture in the Sydney basin is
worth $1 billion.'

Over what period? A year? Works out to be $1.40 per person per day,
which is not much.

shrug
What are you comparing it to?

And what do they define as agriculture?
Does this "agriculture" include nurseries for example?

Quite possibly -- and I believe it includes cut flowers too.

There are still plenty of orchards on the fringes of Sydney, though not as
many as there used to be. I remember going up to Bilpin to get fresh
peaches when I was a kid. Yum...

Lol, you want to watch what you buy at those places. Often they bring it
in from outside.

I was amused by this once. Apple boxes saying not 'Bilpin' but 'Batlow'! No,
the peaches I remember were softball size and probably too ripe to send to
Sydney, being sold by a family at the edge of their property. They were
heavenly.

Lol, children. Permaculture was a product of the work of david Holmgren
in the 70s and includes the work of Yeomans, including one book from 1958.

And Bill Mollison, but he and Holmgren don't seem to be seen together any
more. Anyone know the goss?

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue