Old 31-10-2006, 08:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) is offline

Default Agapanthus

"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote in message
"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote in message
"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote in message
"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote in message

I don't have any experience of the evergreen agapanthus but I

guess
shearing
off the leaves would weaken the bulb. Do you know which species

you
have?

I didn't know there was such a thing as a deciduous agapanthus. I
went scurrying to find my Phillips and Rix book on Perennials but
alas, it's MIA. What's the botanical name of this please Rupert?

AFAIK most if not all agapanthus are prone to loose their leaves

with the
first sign of a frost.

Now I follow. Not really everygreen or deciduous as such but frost
related leaf loss.

Mine died back a few weeks ago once cooler weather
arrived. I have seen them kept evergreen by treating as a house

plant or in
very mild areas.

Some of mine will keep their leaves all winter (under a tree and under
the eaves_ but babies of this clump which I've put in more frosty
areas will tuen to mush in winter.

I had a quick look at the various species and gave up as my
ignorance of the vast variety became too frustrating.

LOL Still can't find my Phillips and Rix book.

OK we are now all on the right track. The word deciduous was jarring with me
but I did not want to suggest that there might be an ignorant terminology
creeping in from Aus.:-)