Old 29-10-2006, 10:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Agapanthus

I am just about to store my agapantha in a frost free location for the
winter.

In past years, I have kept the leaves on all winter, but I wonder if
the plants would benefit from being shorn of all green leaves?

Any advice anyone?

Thanks in anticipation
Steve

Old 29-10-2006, 10:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Steve J" wrote in message
ups.com...
I am just about to store my agapantha in a frost free location for the
winter.

In past years, I have kept the leaves on all winter, but I wonder if
the plants would benefit from being shorn of all green leaves?

Any advice anyone?

Thanks in anticipation
Steve

I don't have any experience of the evergreen agapanthus but I guess shearing
off the leaves would weaken the bulb. Do you know which species you have?

Old 29-10-2006, 07:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Steve J" wrote in message
ups.com...
I am just about to store my agapantha in a frost free location for the
winter.

In past years, I have kept the leaves on all winter, but I wonder if
the plants would benefit from being shorn of all green leaves?

Any advice anyone?

Thanks in anticipation
Steve
If you have grown/overwintered agapanthus before as you have said ,why do
anything different?

I bring the pots of plants in,only water when dry & remove yellow
leaves.This should keep the plants ticking over ,then they will be off in
spring still with some green leaves.
Cheers Keith

Old 29-10-2006, 10:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Steve J" wrote ...
I am just about to store my agapantha in a frost free location for the
winter.

In past years, I have kept the leaves on all winter, but I wonder if
the plants would benefit from being shorn of all green leaves?

Any advice anyone?

Our's, that I grew from seed, are planted in the garden and have been there
for some years. Why do you want to take them in under cover for the winter,
are they a special species?

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 30-10-2006, 04:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote in message
"Steve J" wrote in message

I am just about to store my agapantha in a frost free location for

the
winter.

I don't have any experience of the evergreen agapanthus but I guess

shearing
off the leaves would weaken the bulb. Do you know which species you

have?

I didn't know there was such a thing as a deciduous agapanthus. I
went scurrying to find my Phillips and Rix book on Perennials but
alas, it's MIA. What's the botanical name of this please Rupert?

Old 30-10-2006, 04:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Steve J" wrote in message

I am just about to store my agapantha in a frost free location for

the
winter.

Steve I live in Australia but in a very frosty place (down to -10 C
some years but always at least one or more -5C). My agapanthus stay
in the ground all the time. The leaves turn to mush over winter but
they don't have any trouble surviving even the -10C. But then my soil
doesn't get soggy in winter. I find agapanthus are one of the
toughest plants in my garden.

Old 30-10-2006, 10:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Farm1 wrote:
Steve I live in Australia but in a very frosty place (down to -10 C
some years but always at least one or more -5C). My agapanthus stay
in the ground all the time. The leaves turn to mush over winter but
they don't have any trouble surviving even the -10C. But then my soil
doesn't get soggy in winter. I find agapanthus are one of the
toughest plants in my garden.

The dwarf varieties, like the tinkerbell, are not entirely hardy and in
pots they are vulnerable. These are late flowering as well, around
Sept. I suppose Steve thinks that frost will get to them. I'd still
keep them outside, in their pots, but mulch them and put them somewhere
sheltered for winter protection if worried.

I've got some amongst our alliums collection. Some white ones which I
forgot the name. They've been there years and beside mulching before
winter there's nothing else I do.

Old 30-10-2006, 12:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Steve J" wrote in message

I am just about to store my agapantha in a frost free location for

the
winter.

I don't have any experience of the evergreen agapanthus but I guess

shearing
off the leaves would weaken the bulb. Do you know which species you

have?

I didn't know there was such a thing as a deciduous agapanthus. I
went scurrying to find my Phillips and Rix book on Perennials but
alas, it's MIA. What's the botanical name of this please Rupert?

AFAIK most if not all agapanthus are prone to loose their leaves with the
first sign of a frost. Mine died back a few weeks ago once cooler weather
arrived. I have seen them kept evergreen by treating as a house plant or in
very mild areas. I had a quick look at the various species and gave up as my
ignorance of the vast variety became too frustrating.

Old 30-10-2006, 12:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Farm1 wrote:
I didn't know there was such a thing as a deciduous agapanthus. I
went scurrying to find my Phillips and Rix book on Perennials but
alas, it's MIA. What's the botanical name of this please Rupert?

Decidous agapanthus are ... Aberdeen, Amsterdam dark blue , Blue Moon,
Blue Triumphator, Bressingham, Bristol Dark blue, Buckingham, Castle
Mey, Catherina, Charlotte, Dawn start, Brower dark blue, Hydon,
Holbeach, Kingston, Leichester, Lilliput, Mariette and 30 from L to Z
for the blue ones and 40 more for the white ones .... (I'm stuck at
home with a broken drain pipe and chaps investigating so if you want
the full list just ask ;o)

Old 30-10-2006, 10:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote
"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote
I didn't know there was such a thing as a deciduous agapanthus. I
went scurrying to find my Phillips and Rix book on Perennials but
alas, it's MIA. What's the botanical name of this please Rupert?

AFAIK most if not all agapanthus are prone to loose their leaves with
the first sign of a frost. Mine died back a few weeks ago once cooler
weather arrived. I have seen them kept evergreen by treating as a
house plant or in very mild areas. I had a quick look at the various
species and gave up as my ignorance of the vast variety became too
frustrating.

Here's a good website about agapanthus with lists of evergreen and
deciduous varieties:
http://www.agapanthus.info/uk/public/variities.php

--
Sue

Old 31-10-2006, 06:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote in message
"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote in message
"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote in message

I don't have any experience of the evergreen agapanthus but I

guess
shearing
off the leaves would weaken the bulb. Do you know which species

you
have?

I didn't know there was such a thing as a deciduous agapanthus. I
went scurrying to find my Phillips and Rix book on Perennials but
alas, it's MIA. What's the botanical name of this please Rupert?

AFAIK most if not all agapanthus are prone to loose their leaves

with the
first sign of a frost.

Now I follow. Not really everygreen or deciduous as such but frost
related leaf loss.

Mine died back a few weeks ago once cooler weather
arrived. I have seen them kept evergreen by treating as a house

plant or in
very mild areas.

Some of mine will keep their leaves all winter (under a tree and under
the eaves_ but babies of this clump which I've put in more frosty
areas will tuen to mush in winter.

I had a quick look at the various species and gave up as my
ignorance of the vast variety became too frustrating.

LOL Still can't find my Phillips and Rix book.

Old 31-10-2006, 08:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

OK we are now all on the right track. The word deciduous was jarring with me
but I did not want to suggest that there might be an ignorant terminology
creeping in from Aus.:-)

Old 31-10-2006, 08:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote in message
"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote in message
"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote in message
"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote in message
"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote in message

I don't have any experience of the evergreen agapanthus

I didn't know there was such a thing as a deciduous agapanthus

AFAIK most if not all agapanthus are prone to loose their leaves

with the first sign of a frost.

Now I follow. Not really everygreen or deciduous as such but

frost
related leaf loss.

OK we are now all on the right track. The word deciduous was jarring

with me
but I did not want to suggest that there might be an ignorant

terminology
creeping in from Aus.:-)

Nah. According to my Horticultural Dictionary, that ignorant
terminolgy is coming from the UK. :-))

Agapanthus propagation (pods\seeds) Ruth Australia 11 22-01-2011 11:28 AM
Agapanthus Rob Webb Australia 1 05-04-2003 06:37 AM
Agapanthus Loosecannon Australia 1 28-03-2003 08:20 PM
Agapanthus tangle John United Kingdom 2 08-03-2003 06:22 PM
Agapanthus propagation (pods\seeds) Rita Bogna Australia 0 15-02-2003 06:11 AM