Old 01-11-2006, 01:45 AM posted to aus.gardens
FlowerGirl FlowerGirl is offline

Default Bindies!

"Chookie" wrote in message
Where the heck have they come from? I've just spent 15 mins crawling

around
pulling them out with my fingers in just one small patch of lawn in the

back
yard. Two weeks ago, I hit another patch of them (nearby) with roundup.
Out the front, I think they were some there last year, and this year I've

had
to use roundup on a couple of sq.m. Then there's the medic -- heaps of

it,
but it least it doesn't hurt like bindies.

Someone told me it's been a bad year for bindies (well, a good year if you

are
a bindie, I suppose). Anyone know?

Dormant seeds and dry weather I'm guessing.

DH has a method of getting rid of them ... may not be terribly practical for
you though
When DH was housesharing with a mate back in the late 80s, the backyard was
a bindifest. the other bloke owned the house and decided to returf the back
yard ... they removed all traces of lawn, then DH went over the entire yard
with a *flamethrower*, before top dressing and laying the new turf.
It worked really well.... no bindies for years.

Aside from that, at our house we just dig em up every year (its quite a
social activity here a as soon as we see the plants (ie before they set
seed) and the patches get smaller every summer. Apparently the bindi killer
works well but I haven't tried that.
Amanda