Old 28-10-2006, 04:33 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default Bindies!

Where the heck have they come from? I've just spent 15 mins crawling around
pulling them out with my fingers in just one small patch of lawn in the back
yard. Two weeks ago, I hit another patch of them (nearby) with roundup.
Out the front, I think they were some there last year, and this year I've had
to use roundup on a couple of sq.m. Then there's the medic -- heaps of it,
but it least it doesn't hurt like bindies.

Someone told me it's been a bad year for bindies (well, a good year if you are
a bindie, I suppose). Anyone know?

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue
Old 29-10-2006, 12:50 AM posted to aus.gardens
Jen Jen is offline

"Chookie" wrote in message
Where the heck have they come from? I've just spent 15 mins crawling
around
pulling them out with my fingers in just one small patch of lawn in the
back
yard. Two weeks ago, I hit another patch of them (nearby) with roundup.
Out the front, I think they were some there last year, and this year I've
had
to use roundup on a couple of sq.m. Then there's the medic -- heaps of
it,
but it least it doesn't hurt like bindies.

Someone told me it's been a bad year for bindies (well, a good year if you
are
a bindie, I suppose). Anyone know?

I've heard they like the dry weather, and that the seeds can stay dormant
for many years. There's a spray that will kill bindii and a couple of other
weeds, but leaves the good stuff. It might be worth trying, and trying
again, and again over the years. I think I might have finally gotten rid of
it in my garden now - but it took a while.

Good luck!

Jen

Old 29-10-2006, 08:53 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Jen" wrote in message

"Chookie" wrote in message
[...]

I used Bindii Killer that you conect to the hose onto the plastic bottle.
Then a week later I used weed and feed and got rid of the lot.

Old 01-11-2006, 01:45 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Chookie" wrote in message
Where the heck have they come from? I've just spent 15 mins crawling

around
pulling them out with my fingers in just one small patch of lawn in the

back
yard. Two weeks ago, I hit another patch of them (nearby) with roundup.
Out the front, I think they were some there last year, and this year I've

had
to use roundup on a couple of sq.m. Then there's the medic -- heaps of

it,
but it least it doesn't hurt like bindies.

Someone told me it's been a bad year for bindies (well, a good year if you

are
a bindie, I suppose). Anyone know?

Dormant seeds and dry weather I'm guessing.

DH has a method of getting rid of them ... may not be terribly practical for
you though
When DH was housesharing with a mate back in the late 80s, the backyard was
a bindifest. the other bloke owned the house and decided to returf the back
yard ... they removed all traces of lawn, then DH went over the entire yard
with a *flamethrower*, before top dressing and laying the new turf.
It worked really well.... no bindies for years.

Aside from that, at our house we just dig em up every year (its quite a
social activity here a as soon as we see the plants (ie before they set
seed) and the patches get smaller every summer. Apparently the bindi killer
works well but I haven't tried that.
Amanda

Old 05-11-2006, 03:04 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Jen" writes:
Someone told me it's been a bad year for bindies (well, a good year if you
are
a bindie, I suppose). Anyone know?

I've heard they like the dry weather, and that the seeds can stay dormant
for many years.

A combination of drought tolerance, a tap root, and currently lack of
competition from other grasses--if the lawns around here are anything to
go by.

I reckon what really gives the bindi-eyes their big edge over all else is
that their flower (i.e., burr) is borne well below the level of the mower
blade. You can limit most weeds by regularly mowing to stop them setting
seed, but the bindi side-steps this method of reproductive control.

Old 07-11-2006, 10:46 PM posted to aus.gardens

Boil the kettle and pour a little hot water into the centre of each plant. I
have no bindies at my place any more. All I need to do is watch for young
plants at the beginning of the season and walk around the yard with the
kettle.
jules

Old 24-11-2006, 06:02 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Chookie" wrote in message
Where the heck have they come from? I've just spent 15 mins crawling
around
pulling them out with my fingers in just one small patch of lawn in the
back
yard. Two weeks ago, I hit another patch of them (nearby) with roundup.
Out the front, I think they were some there last year, and this year I've
had
to use roundup on a couple of sq.m. Then there's the medic -- heaps of
it,
but it least it doesn't hurt like bindies.

Someone told me it's been a bad year for bindies (well, a good year if you
are
a bindie, I suppose). Anyone know?

LOL

Our lawnman told us they can be blown in and sometimes birds carry them!
*roll* You could always buy a malteseXshih-tsu they're a 'bindi magnet',
use them to pick them up!
Even on paving Paris seems to find them :-(

Linda