Old 31-10-2006, 10:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Helen Deborah Vecht Helen Deborah Vecht is offline

Default Lemming-like Lizzies?

"Gill Matthews" account I no longer havetyped

"Helen Deborah Vecht" wrote in message
I was given some busy lizzies, which we planted in a large half-barrel
on the patio.

They flowered well all summer, though became somewhat 'leggy' over the
early autumn. They all appear to have jumped out of the pot; the last
jumped out an hour ago, having seemed fine this morning.

Is this phenomenon well-known?

Root rot or vine weevils can cause this. make sure you send the
compost from
the pots to green recycling where hopefully they will be composted to a
sufficiently high temperature to kill things. Don't put pot content on to
your own garden or domestic sized compost heap

Gill M

Thanks. The 'pot' is close to a cubic metre in volume, which I wouldn't
realistically be able to dig out. Is there some kind of poison I could
use or should I just plant some other plants (less vulnerable to this
pest) in it?

I had hoped to put some bulbs in it soon.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.