Old 31-10-2006, 04:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Lemming-like Lizzies?

I was given some busy lizzies, which we planted in a large half-barrel
on the patio.

They flowered well all summer, though became somewhat 'leggy' over the
early autumn. They all appear to have jumped out of the pot; the last
jumped out an hour ago, having seemed fine this morning.

Is this phenomenon well-known?

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old 31-10-2006, 04:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Helen Deborah Vecht" wrote
I was given some busy lizzies, which we planted in a large half-barrel
on the patio.

They flowered well all summer, though became somewhat 'leggy' over the
early autumn. They all appear to have jumped out of the pot; the last
jumped out an hour ago, having seemed fine this morning.

Is this phenomenon well-known?

Yes, I've seen it, the roots rot off in the cold/wet weather and the top
heavy plant simply falls from it's pot.

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 31-10-2006, 06:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Helen Deborah Vecht" wrote in message
I was given some busy lizzies, which we planted in a large half-barrel
on the patio.

They flowered well all summer, though became somewhat 'leggy' over the
early autumn. They all appear to have jumped out of the pot; the last
jumped out an hour ago, having seemed fine this morning.

Is this phenomenon well-known?

Root rot or vine weevils can cause this. make sure you send the compost from
the pots to green recycling where hopefully they will be composted to a
sufficiently high temperature to kill things. Don't put pot content on to
your own garden or domestic sized compost heap

Gill M

Old 31-10-2006, 10:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Gill Matthews" account I no longer havetyped

"Helen Deborah Vecht" wrote in message
I was given some busy lizzies, which we planted in a large half-barrel
on the patio.

They flowered well all summer, though became somewhat 'leggy' over the
early autumn. They all appear to have jumped out of the pot; the last
jumped out an hour ago, having seemed fine this morning.

Is this phenomenon well-known?

Root rot or vine weevils can cause this. make sure you send the
compost from
the pots to green recycling where hopefully they will be composted to a
sufficiently high temperature to kill things. Don't put pot content on to
your own garden or domestic sized compost heap

Gill M

Thanks. The 'pot' is close to a cubic metre in volume, which I wouldn't
realistically be able to dig out. Is there some kind of poison I could
use or should I just plant some other plants (less vulnerable to this
pest) in it?

I had hoped to put some bulbs in it soon.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old 31-10-2006, 11:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

"If" you do have vine weevil in pots then Provardo Vine weevil killer will
do a good job. It also offers some protection against some other sap
suckers.
There is also a nematode which claims to be effective-but I have not tried
it.

Old 01-11-2006, 08:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

Oops. Then you had better diagnose the problem. Dig carefully around where
the busy lizzie roots were. if the roots are a brown splogy mass or if they
have gone gooey with grey furry appearance the you have rot. Dig down to the
bottom of the rotten bits and chuck that away. I would also incorporate some
sharp sand into the remaining compost to improve drainage as poor drainage
can be a cause of this problem and the bulbs won't like it either.
If the roots look chewed and less than you would expect and their are white
maggoty things in amongst them, you have vine weevils. Crush as many as you
see. If you are not organic there is a chemical called provado which can be
watered in and will kill the little blighters. If you are organic conduct a
careful search and squish You probably won't get all of them but you could
still get some decent results from your bulbs. There is also a nematode
which is I have found very effective, but the weather is now too cold for
the poor wee beasties to work.

Gill M

Old 01-11-2006, 09:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

Thanks.

The 'pot' is in the rain shadow of a perspex roof and drying out is
usually more of an issue than drainage. It's between a west-south-west
facing wall and the (SSE) wooden garden fence, which shades it this time
of year.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old 01-11-2006, 12:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Gill Matthews" account I no longer have
wrote snip
If the roots look chewed and less than you would expect and their are
white maggoty things in amongst them, you have vine weevils. Crush as
many as you see. If you are not organic there is a chemical called
provado which can be watered in and will kill the little blighters.
If you are organic conduct a careful search and squish You probably
won't get all of them but you could still get some decent results from
your bulbs. There is also a nematode which is I have found very
effective, but the weather is now too cold for the poor wee beasties
to work.

An alterative to squishing is put them on the birdtable for your robin
to feast on - they love them!

--
Sue

Old 01-11-2006, 02:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sue" typed

"Gill Matthews" account I no longer have
wrote snip
If the roots look chewed and less than you would expect and their are
white maggoty things in amongst them, you have vine weevils. Crush as
many as you see. If you are not organic there is a chemical called
provado which can be watered in and will kill the little blighters.
If you are organic conduct a careful search and squish You probably
won't get all of them but you could still get some decent results from
your bulbs. There is also a nematode which is I have found very
effective, but the weather is now too cold for the poor wee beasties
to work.

An alterative to squishing is put them on the birdtable for your robin
to feast on - they love them!

Robin visits the pot very frequently anyway, as he nests in next-door's
greenhouse (where old boy feeds him mealworms)

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.

Bizzy Lizzies Barum Gardening 6 30-04-2009 10:09 PM
busy lizzies sugar1 Gardening 2 08-05-2008 09:04 PM
Advice please on yellowing Busy Lizzies? Bergamot United Kingdom 2 21-06-2007 07:05 PM
Busy Lizzies - couple of questions maxman United Kingdom 7 18-10-2005 10:17 PM
Best balcony pelargonium & bizzie lizzies Victoria Clare United Kingdom 3 31-10-2003 11:03 AM