Old 22-03-2003, 09:44 PM
rick

Default Yellowing leaves on phals

the roots look OK to me.........but to be on the safe side, I think I'll go
ahead and repot them in fresh media.

Rick

"Ray @ First Rays Orchids" wrote in message
The only "if" I'd throw in is related to the honesty of the vendor: some
have been known to select plants in dire need of repotting and "dump" them
at shows so they don't have to do so. That often means the root systems

are
in miserable shape, and the plants are quite stressed. Moving them to a
home environment could make it worse.

What's the condition of the medium look like?

--

Ray Barkalow First Rays Orchids
http://www.firstrays.com

"Steve" wrote in message

Phals drop a lower leaf from time to time as they grow a new one at the
top. Stress will make them loose more than one leaf. The stress can be
temperature extremes, lower humidity, under watering, loss of roots,
light changes perhaps.
The change from greenhouse conditions to home conditions is enough to
loose a couple of leaves. Who knows what kind of stress it might have
experienced on the way to the show. Check to make sure it has good
roots. If it only had 5 leaves and is dropping 3, that's pretty bad. If
it had 7 leaves and is dropping 2, that's not too bad. You get the idea.

Steve

rick wrote:
hi all:

I bought a healthy phal the other day from an orchid show. Now after a

few
days in my house, I am noticing that the older leaves at the bottom

are
turning yellow and dying. is it normal for them to do that or am I

doing
something wrong? I have put them under fluorescent light along with

the
other phals. The plant had perfect green leaves all throughout when it

was
bought.

thanks

Rick