Old 05-11-2006, 03:04 AM posted to aus.gardens
John Savage John Savage is offline

Default Bindies!

"Jen" writes:
Someone told me it's been a bad year for bindies (well, a good year if you
are
a bindie, I suppose). Anyone know?

I've heard they like the dry weather, and that the seeds can stay dormant
for many years.

A combination of drought tolerance, a tap root, and currently lack of
competition from other grasses--if the lawns around here are anything to
go by.

I reckon what really gives the bindi-eyes their big edge over all else is
that their flower (i.e., burr) is borne well below the level of the mower
blade. You can limit most weeds by regularly mowing to stop them setting
seed, but the bindi side-steps this method of reproductive control.