Old 05-11-2006, 11:44 PM posted to rec.gardens
simy1 simy1 is offline

Default My iris did not produce flowers this year

Teresa Gudge wrote:
I have many different varieties of iris in my garden - well established
clumps in some places - and this year for some reason they did not
flower. The plants are in various locations in my large south westerly
facing garden. I have had several conversations with others who blame
the temperatures we experienced this year - do others feel the same way
?

They are too crowded. Divide them now. The proper way to deal with iris
is to divide 1/3 of them each year. When divided, they take one year to
recover much of the time. With this technique, you have about 50%
blooming each year. If you don't divide them, and you can see they are
crowded, next year they will bloom even less.