Old 08-11-2006, 07:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) is offline

Default sawdust or woodchips in compost?

"Paul" wrote in message
news
On a trip to a local timber yard I noticed they were selling large bags of
what seemed to be rough sawdust or fine wood chips very cheaply. Aha,
thought I, could we use that in the compost? What benefits might it have?
Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Regards
Paul.

Sawdust can be used to increase the carbon content of the mix so that you
have a good carbon/nitrogen ratio. Mixed with the finer greens,such as grass
clippings,it will help the composting process, in much the same way as
adding straw. I avoid using big wood chips in the heap cos they take ages to
decay.