Old 08-11-2006, 01:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default When to repot Hippeastrum papilio

Ford Prefect wrote:
My wife has a Hippeastrum papilio that has put out a 'side shoot' or
is it a 'bulb division'? anyway it is now deforming the pot it's in,
is it ok to repot it a this time of the year?? I'm worried the plant
might sustain some damage if it keeps growing at it's present rate in
such restricted space.
I've got a 10cm pot standing by should I just repot the whole thing or
lift and divide it?

I've not grown this hippeastrum, but I would repot either while dormant
or in active growth (not while beginning to die down), taking care not
to disturb the rather brittle roots.

It's best not to over-pot - they seem to flower better when constricted.

Don't worry about damage to the bulb - it's only the pot that is at
risk!
--
Kay