Old 08-11-2006, 04:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher Mary Fisher is offline

Default sawdust or woodchips in compost?

"George.com" wrote in message

I find the occasional bag of saw dust very good in a hot compost. It mixes
together well and breaks down quite quickly. By the time to pile has gone
cold and nearly ok to use the saw dust is well on its way to degradation.
don't find small wood chip to be quite so good as they tend to outlast the
nitrogen supply.

We use wood shavings in our hen coops. Every three weeks the soiled shavings
are put in the compost, mixed with branch shreddings. There's never any
evidence of wood in the compost.

You can up the nitrogen level in the compost heap by adding a Man-made
liquid.

Mary

rob