Old 08-11-2006, 10:28 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,misc.consumers,rec.gardens
Carl 1 Lucky Texan Carl 1 Lucky Texan is offline

Default String Trimmer Ideas

BeaForoni wrote:

wrote:

I need a string trimmer. That thing for cutting the lawn. Weed-
eater, or whatever you would call it. (A regular mower won't
work - the area is small, with slopes and sunken area, plus
narrow paths between veggie beds.)

A NON-negotiable point is that it must be electric.

A saw a low-priced 18-volt cordless rechargeable at the
supermarket recently. However, there wasn't even any clear
indication of the manufacturer's name (except, "Made In China.")
And that supermarket seems to be an outlet for some rather
dubious, "fell off the truck" items, plus a poor refund policy.

So I am interested in comments about reliable brands/models.
Including the question of corded or -less. I don't absolutely
need a rechargeable, but it would be nice. And, avoiding the
purchase of a heavy power lead would offset the price. OTOH, I
want something reliable. And I have heard of issues with drills,
etc, where a new battery cost more than a new whole unit.

Thanks...

--
Want Freebies?
http://www.TheFreeStuffList.com/

I like my Black and Decker weed whacker but I have one complaint. The
string in freaking expensive. I tried to use fishing line and tried to
use electical wire and tried to rig something up using nails, none of
these great ideas worked and actually they all kind of were dangerous.
Any one have any ideas to reduce the cost of the string?

Um, I dunno which model you have, but I rewind the replacemnt hubs
myself from bulk 'blue' trimmer line.

Carl

--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)