Old 23-03-2003, 01:56 AM
Tim B

Default Bareroot Stawberry plant storage

Arrgh. My April 20 shipment of Ozark Beauty bareroots Arrived on March 22.
I will call the merchant to complain. To which they'll surely say to
follow the directions on the plastic bag (with holes in the plastic) , which
calls for putting the bag in the refrigerator crisper until ready to use.

I wasn't going to plant them until temps were projected above 28 degrees
through the official last frost (6A - May 15). That generally means about
April 20 with some night-time covering required some nights. It's usually
at least then before the garden dries out anyway. So there's at least a
two-week period before the soil will be workable and probably more like 4
weeks.

So ... anybody every keep bareroot strawberries in the fridge for a month?
I have a feeling the merchant gets them in all at once and holds them in
refrigerated storage too, but of course theirs is better than a home
version. If you have kept them for a few weeks in the fridge, did you
mosten them at all?