Old 09-11-2006, 04:16 PM posted to austin.food,austin.gardening
Mike Harris[_1_] Mike Harris[_1_] is offline

Default Meyer lemons - woo hoo!

Cross posted to both austin.food and austin.gardening

I'm pleased to report that the Meyer "improved" lemon tree I planted five
years ago is now bearing in relative abundance!

For those unfamiliar the Meyer lemon is thought to be a cross between a true
lemon and a mandarin orange, making it more cold-hardy than the more common
market lemons (Eureka or Lisbon). The fruit is also considerably larger,
thinner skinned, much juicier and not quite as tart as a standard lemon with
a subtle flavor that, once tasted, is unforgettable and distinct.
"Improved" refers to disease resistance not fruit quality.

My tree has done well in Austin (78702, a few blocks from Town Lake) with no
problems with freezes. I't's been hardy to 27F uncovered; colder than that
and I'll put a plastic tarp over and hang an automotive style drop light
from a lower branch.

I'm planning on doing a lot of cooking in the next few weeks - Meyer
lemonade, a meyer lemon granita inspired by the one we were served at La
Traviata on Congress last year, and so forth.

If anyone has any recipe ideas that highlight the fruit please pass them
along.
--
Mike Harris
Austin TX