Old 09-11-2006, 04:16 PM posted to austin.food,austin.gardening

Default Meyer lemons - woo hoo!

Cross posted to both austin.food and austin.gardening

I'm pleased to report that the Meyer "improved" lemon tree I planted five
years ago is now bearing in relative abundance!

For those unfamiliar the Meyer lemon is thought to be a cross between a true
lemon and a mandarin orange, making it more cold-hardy than the more common
market lemons (Eureka or Lisbon). The fruit is also considerably larger,
thinner skinned, much juicier and not quite as tart as a standard lemon with
a subtle flavor that, once tasted, is unforgettable and distinct.
"Improved" refers to disease resistance not fruit quality.

My tree has done well in Austin (78702, a few blocks from Town Lake) with no
problems with freezes. I't's been hardy to 27F uncovered; colder than that
and I'll put a plastic tarp over and hang an automotive style drop light
from a lower branch.

I'm planning on doing a lot of cooking in the next few weeks - Meyer
lemonade, a meyer lemon granita inspired by the one we were served at La
Traviata on Congress last year, and so forth.

If anyone has any recipe ideas that highlight the fruit please pass them
along.
--
Mike Harris
Austin TX

Old 09-11-2006, 09:26 PM posted to austin.food,austin.gardening

On Thu, 09 Nov 2006 16:59:23 +0000, Frank Mancuso wrote:

Lemoncello!!

That's not a recipe, that's a vocation.
Old 09-11-2006, 11:16 PM posted to austin.food,austin.gardening

I also have two Meyer's lemons. One is common, the other is
variegated and the fruit is pink. I would love to put them in the
ground, but I'm afraid to up where I am near the Dell Diamond.

My variegated gave us 50 lemons this year, and 42 from the common
green. There are still a few on the trees and they are flowering
again. Just in time to hatch some out in the greenhouse.

Old 10-11-2006, 12:54 AM posted to austin.food,austin.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Attach with toothpicks thick slices of lemon on top of chicken breasts
before broiling in the oven. The bitter and slightly charred peel
mixed with the chicken skin juices tastes suprisingly good.

Or maybe my taste is wierd! I like the lemon better than the chicken
breast.

Don
www.donsautomotive.com

Old 10-11-2006, 01:24 AM posted to austin.food,austin.gardening

* Jangchub wrote, On 11/9/2006 5:16 PM:
I also have two Meyer's lemons. One is common, the other is
variegated and the fruit is pink. I would love to put them in the
ground, but I'm afraid to up where I am near the Dell Diamond.

My variegated gave us 50 lemons this year, and 42 from the common
green. There are still a few on the trees and they are flowering
again. Just in time to hatch some out in the greenhouse.

What size pots do you keep them in? That's a big crop of fruit for potted
trees, wow!

Cindy
Old 10-11-2006, 12:17 PM posted to austin.food,austin.gardening

In article ,
"Mike Harris" wrote:

I'm pleased to report that the Meyer "improved" lemon tree I planted five
years ago is now bearing in relative abundance!

Where did you buy the Meyer lemon tree? I tried to order one but they
cannot be shipped to Texas
Old 10-11-2006, 03:22 PM posted to austin.food,austin.gardening

"aRKay" wrote in message
In article ,
"Mike Harris" wrote:

I'm pleased to report that the Meyer "improved" lemon tree I planted five
years ago is now bearing in relative abundance!

Where did you buy the Meyer lemon tree? I tried to order one but they
cannot be shipped to Texas

Either Great Outdoors or Natural Gardener, I don't recall which. It's
possible for a nursery to import virus free "certified budwood" but whole
plants are out.
--
Mike Harris
Austin TX

Old 10-11-2006, 09:15 PM posted to austin.food,austin.gardening

* Mike Harris wrote, On 11/10/2006 9:22 AM:
"aRKay" wrote in message
In article ,
"Mike Harris" wrote:

Where did you buy the Meyer lemon tree? I tried to order one but they
cannot be shipped to Texas

Either Great Outdoors or Natural Gardener, I don't recall which. It's
possible for a nursery to import virus free "certified budwood" but whole
plants are out.
--
Mike Harris
Austin TX

I could swear I've seen them in local nurseries. I got a variegated Meyer lemon
a couple years ago in a Mom & Pop nursery here in The Woodlands. I'm pretty
sure I've seen Meyers in several places.

Cindy
Old 11-11-2006, 01:39 PM posted to austin.food,austin.gardening

On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 01:24:57 GMT, Cindy wrote:

* Jangchub wrote, On 11/9/2006 5:16 PM:
I also have two Meyer's lemons. One is common, the other is
variegated and the fruit is pink. I would love to put them in the
ground, but I'm afraid to up where I am near the Dell Diamond.

My variegated gave us 50 lemons this year, and 42 from the common
green. There are still a few on the trees and they are flowering
again. Just in time to hatch some out in the greenhouse.

What size pots do you keep them in? That's a big crop of fruit for potted
trees, wow!

Cindy

They are in 30 gallon containers.

Old 11-11-2006, 01:40 PM posted to austin.food,austin.gardening

On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 12:17:33 GMT, aRKay wrote:

In article ,
"Mike Harris" wrote:

I'm pleased to report that the Meyer "improved" lemon tree I planted five
years ago is now bearing in relative abundance!

Where did you buy the Meyer lemon tree? I tried to order one but they
cannot be shipped to Texas

I bought mine at Lowes several years back, but The Great Outdoors may
also have them. I am going to make cuttings for them to sell this
spring.
Old 11-11-2006, 01:42 PM posted to austin.food,austin.gardening

On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 21:15:15 GMT, Cindy wrote:

* Mike Harris wrote, On 11/10/2006 9:22 AM:
"aRKay" wrote in message
In article ,
"Mike Harris" wrote:

Where did you buy the Meyer lemon tree? I tried to order one but they
cannot be shipped to Texas

Either Great Outdoors or Natural Gardener, I don't recall which. It's
possible for a nursery to import virus free "certified budwood" but whole
plants are out.
--
Mike Harris
Austin TX

I could swear I've seen them in local nurseries. I got a variegated Meyer lemon
a couple years ago in a Mom & Pop nursery here in The Woodlands. I'm pretty
sure I've seen Meyers in several places.

Cindy

No doubt you have. It is not illegal to sell them from cuttings
provided they are propagated locally.
Old 14-11-2006, 04:23 AM posted to austin.food,austin.gardening

Mike Harris wrote:
If anyone has any recipe ideas that highlight the fruit please pass them
along.

Marmalade comes to mind.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old 14-11-2006, 01:15 PM posted to austin.food,austin.gardening

On Mon, 13 Nov 2006 22:23:18 -0600, Victor Martinez
wrote:

Mike Harris wrote:
If anyone has any recipe ideas that highlight the fruit please pass them
along.

Marmalade comes to mind.

With lemons?
Old 14-11-2006, 01:34 PM posted to austin.food,austin.gardening

Jangchub wrote:
With lemons?

Absolutely! All citrus work just fine for marmalade.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

woo hoo! Heather Edible Gardening 1 28-10-2003 01:42 PM
WOO HOO Madgardener Gardening 2 25-09-2003 03:02 AM
woo-hoo! Tallahassee orchid show report! Prem Subrahmanyam Orchids 0 13-04-2003 12:32 AM
woo-hoo! Tallahassee orchid show report! Prem Subrahmanyam Gardening 0 13-04-2003 12:32 AM
WOO HOO~ madgard Gardening 12 25-02-2003 11:53 PM