Old 11-11-2006, 02:30 AM posted to rec.gardens
Derryl Killan Derryl Killan is offline

Default Overgrown lilacs

Prune them 1/3 at a time and let the suckers come up.

Derryl

I bought a property that has 7 large lilac bushes (several different
varieties). My problem is that the previous owner never pruned them.
Now these plants consist of long woody stems that go up 6 to 8 feet
with flowering blooms all across the top and no blooms below 6 feet.

Question: if I prune these bushes back to six feet, can I expect any
blooms at all next year ( I don't even know where the blooms would come
from because there is nothing but long woody branch-like stalks from
ground to 6 feet)?

Should I start over and cut them down to ground and try to get new
growth that way?

Thank you for replies. Bruce