Old 13-11-2006, 03:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
K Barrett K Barrett is offline

Default Very large Dendrobium flower

There is a Den. somethingorother Dragon that is huge. Its not a
nigrohirsute type... Of course I can't recall much more than that. I
believe Richard Saporita at Alpine Orchids has/had them at one time. In
Florida. But don't trust my memory.

K Barrett
"Susan Erickson" wrote in message
On Mon, 13 Nov 2006 00:59:17 GMT, "Gene Schurg"
wrote:

Dusty,

Was the Dendrobium you saw a long spike of flowers or were they close to
the
stem?

Den. is one of the nigrohirusute/formosum group of plants produce very
large 3+ inches at the top of their cane. Some of them look like small
cattelyas. Generally I don't recall them having a long spike of flowers
though. They are usually borne 1 or 2 flowes on a short spike.

Good Growing,
Gene

Den Judith Nakayama (Dawn Maree x Formidible) is what your description
reminded me of.
http://orchids.legolas.org/gallery/v...m/aan.jpg.html
I am always surprised at the size of the flower compared to the plant
size. I have seen other closely related ones that were not pure white
and of similar size.

Each is 1/2 formosum - Dawn Maree is 1/2 cruentum while Formidible is
1/2 infundibulum.

Hope that helps you track down something interesting.
Sounds like delightful shopping - even if it is only window shopping.

SuE
http://orchids.legolas.org/gallery/orchids