Old 11-11-2006, 02:34 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Very large Dendrobium flower

On a recent trip to Okinawa I came across a flower seller in Hiwadori
shopping area who was selling cut Dendrobium flower spikes, white with a
pink blush & a touch of yellow in the throat. . What caught my eye was
the size. They where slightly more than 2.5 inches across (used a dollar
bill for measurement) and they had good substance. I have not seen
standard Dendrobiums with flowers this size.

So if anyone has seen Dendrobiums with same size flowers I would like to
put its name on my want list.

Also I looked around at places selling plants but no luck finding a
similar flower. However if you like noids of Phal. Onc. & Den. this is a
buyers paradise. Large plants (4 to 6 growths) with multiple spikes (den
& Onc) and blooming Phals all at between 398 yen and 498 yen. That's
about $3.37 to $4.29.
However bringing them back could get very expensive.

Grow well and bloom magnificently

Dusty
Old 13-11-2006, 12:59 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Dusty,

Was the Dendrobium you saw a long spike of flowers or were they close to the
stem?

Den. is one of the nigrohirusute/formosum group of plants produce very
large 3+ inches at the top of their cane. Some of them look like small
cattelyas. Generally I don't recall them having a long spike of flowers
though. They are usually borne 1 or 2 flowes on a short spike.

Good Growing,
Gene

7.102...

Old 13-11-2006, 04:37 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Mon, 13 Nov 2006 00:59:17 GMT, "Gene Schurg"
wrote:

Dusty,

Was the Dendrobium you saw a long spike of flowers or were they close to the
stem?

Den. is one of the nigrohirusute/formosum group of plants produce very
large 3+ inches at the top of their cane. Some of them look like small
cattelyas. Generally I don't recall them having a long spike of flowers
though. They are usually borne 1 or 2 flowes on a short spike.

Good Growing,
Gene

Den Judith Nakayama (Dawn Maree x Formidible) is what your description
reminded me of.
http://orchids.legolas.org/gallery/v...m/aan.jpg.html
I am always surprised at the size of the flower compared to the plant
size. I have seen other closely related ones that were not pure white
and of similar size.

Each is 1/2 formosum - Dawn Maree is 1/2 cruentum while Formidible is
1/2 infundibulum.

Hope that helps you track down something interesting.
Sounds like delightful shopping - even if it is only window shopping.

SuE
http://orchids.legolas.org/gallery/orchids
Old 13-11-2006, 03:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

There is a Den. somethingorother Dragon that is huge. Its not a
nigrohirsute type... Of course I can't recall much more than that. I
believe Richard Saporita at Alpine Orchids has/had them at one time. In
Florida. But don't trust my memory.

K Barrett

Old 13-11-2006, 07:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Susan,

That's the one I was thinking of but couldn't remember the name. Old age
must be getting to me.

Thanks,
Gene

Old 14-11-2006, 10:26 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

"Gene Schurg" wrote in

Dusty,

Was the Dendrobium you saw a long spike of flowers or were they close
to the stem?

Den. is one of the nigrohirusute/formosum group of plants produce
very large 3+ inches at the top of their cane. Some of them look like
small cattelyas. Generally I don't recall them having a long spike of
flowers though. They are usually borne 1 or 2 flowes on a short
spike.

Good Growing,
Gene

"Dusty" wrote in message
7.102...
[...]

I was a long spike with at least 10 open flowers with some still in bud.