Old 17-02-2003, 07:27 PM
Lee Brouillet

Default bamboo and pond liners

I don't have any bamboo, but I've always loved it. I understand that the
best way to keep bamboo in one spot is to plant it in a drum, with the
bottom cut out. It makes for a massive hole, but it can't send out runners
that way, and (more or less) behaves itself. Maybe there's someone on the
board that has first-hand experience with the stuff?

Lee

"Andrew Burgess" wrote in message
Here's a short story that appeared on a mailing list I subscribe to
that I thought would be of interest:

I love bamboo and I plant it everywhere it I can and places I probably
shouldn't, like next to this pond I built 2 years ago. I dug out a

hole,
built up the berms down slope with some dirt I got from digging out a
basement, then lined it with a piece of EPDM I scrounged from a roofer
friend. I'd planted the bamboo near there two years earlier and it was

just
starting to get a foothold. I was so proud of my bamboo overhanging the
pond; it looked so Zen. I don't know if you've ever destructively

tested
EPDM, but you can't tear it, and it's tough as nails. Well, (you know
what's coming) the bamboo poked up a shoot right through it the next

spring
but it died, then (I'm theorizing now) rotted and last week the pond

drained
itself out just like someone unstopped a drain plug. I never thought

this
would happen. Now I'm in the pond-patching business. Live and learn.