Old 23-03-2003, 05:08 AM
Tom La Bron

Default Pumps Working. was ah spring?

Jan,

I have one of the new large Little Giant 4,300 gph Pumps and I had called
the company last fall and they told me if I was going to keep it outside in
a cold area to keep it in bucket of water with the pump intake and one of
the discharge ports under the water with a little antifreeze in it to keep
the water from freezing. It still froze some because it got a lot colder
than it usually does in the winter here and I guess I didn't put enough
antifreeze in the water, but keeping in water keeps the seals moist and
sealed.

When I saw it was frozen, I found a place for the pump and bucket here in
the house and was using the bathtub to purge the antifreeze from the pump
with a large volume of water.

This is my first big pond pump. Usually I have smaller volume submersibles
and utility pumps pumping my pond water.

Tom L.L.
====================
"~ jan" wrote in message
s.com...
I knew there was gonna be a problem when you wrote: "put in the bathtub",
at least you shut the door, etc. ;o)

Btw, I've never stored my Becketts wet and have never had a problem. The
Demo Pond uses an Ebara and every spring we have to manually rotate the
impeller before it will run. Do you think storing it wet would prevent
that? I hate to think of the bother of doing so. ~ jan

Today I pulled my new pump out of the bucket of water that I was storing

it
in to put in the bathtub to make sure it was still running all right. I
have the bathtub about 3/4's full and had the pump standing on end with

the
side nozzle discharge open.

I turned to plug it in and as soon as the connection was made the pump
starting rotating the water in the tub (4,300 GPH) and then all of a

sudden
it started to move and before I could catch it , it laid on it side and

shot
a stream of water 6 feet plus in to the air. Thank the Lord that the tub

is
also the shower stall and the shower doors were closed because it shot

water
every where before I got it unplugged.

I guess it is safe to say that it is working fine.

Tom L.L.
"John Rutz" wrote in message
well it quit snowing so I got my plumbing rerouted and turned on all
three pumps all the plants are showing some signs of growth so maybe
spring is finaly here for real

--
John Rutz

I'm not Porg am not am not am so